Monday, June 27, 2011

The Book Whisperer - I like this journey already:)

My Wordle for Chapter 1 of The Book Whisperer

Wordle: book whisper

How did you feel as you started reading?
I felt like she had been standing in my classroom observing me before she wrote this book.  Or that I was walking in her shoes.  Feelings: relief, lots of light bulb moments, HOPE!!
What were your first thoughts, connections, insights?
Sadly I connected with her when she worked so hard to prepare that lesson and the students just did what they had to to get through it and didn't connect with the characters like she thought they would.  I've had that feeling before.  Thankfully I have been teaching comprehension and reading strategies and have seen improvement but still have that handful of kids that just don't seem to care.  I want to reach all my kids!!  So I am looking forward to the rest of this book:)
Were you like me and finally felt as though you had found someone who was speaking your language?
Yes!!
Which part jumped out at you and made you say "aha!!, I knew it"?
I have always tried to get my students as passionate about reading as I am, telling them that reading is an escape, you can go to another place and be someone else, away from everything else if you want.
I have to join in with others and quote her with the amazing words of:
"Reading changes your life.  Reading unlocks worlds unknown or forgotten, taking travelers around the world and through time.  Reading helps you escape the confines of school and pursue your own education.  Through characters - the saints and sinners, real or imagined - reading shows you how to be a better human."
Those are some powerful words!!

(using the discussion questions from Thinking of Teaching's Blog)



Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Tara,

    Underneath your wordle you should see ah html code. Copy it and paste it in to your post's html code.

    OR

    just copy the URL for your wordle and create a link back to the site if you can't get the first one to work.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you figured it out! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post. She is talking to us as she talks about herself. It makes me feel better that we all have some of the same struggles. We can do it together!

    Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments and insights have me anxiously checking my mailbox everyday. I ordered the Book Whisperer about a week ago from Amazon, and I just can't wait to get it!! I am already a big fan of the Daily 5 and Cafe. Thanks so much for sharing all of your ideas and knowledge - - I've been teaching for 13 years, but this is my first in 4th grade - - love it - - want to be great at it! Blogs like yours, and my wonderful team, are helping me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this book! I just found your blog and I'm so excited. I have just been hired to teach 4th grade at an inner city school (Social Studies and Science). Thank you for your posts, I can't wait to read more. I hope you enjoyed The Book Whisperer. I'm a little sad that I don't get to teach reading but my time will come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this book! I just found your blog and I'm so excited. I have just been hired to teach 4th grade at an inner city school (Social Studies and Science). Thank you for your posts, I can't wait to read more. I hope you enjoyed The Book Whisperer. I'm a little sad that I don't get to teach reading but my time will come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Good post and i will follow you Blog and i hope to follow my blog AncientGreece.Me and see more about Maps of Ancient Greece for Students thanks a gain admin ,,,

    ReplyDelete