Creating Mental Images the Fun Way

Ok, so one of the strategies we work on is creating mental images or visualizing.  I teach struggling readers and my kids really seemed to be struggling with this.  So I came up with Mental Image Comics.  I choose a short story and mark with stickies 5 different places throughout the book to stop.  I give them each a blank comic strip and tell them to find a spot to be creative.  Some stay in their desks, some under their desks, they just scatter.  Then I tell them I want them to close their eyes and make "mind movies" as I read. (now before this we have had some mini lessons on visualizing)  We kind of make a game out of it.  I say "close your eyes" and I read until the first stopping point.  When I get there I simply say "draw "and they have about 90 seconds to draw in the first box of their comic strip.  I know that doesn't sound like a lot of time but they get it down pretty quickly.  Then I say "close your eyes" and I read again until the next stopping point and "Draw!".  We continue this until the story is finished.  Once we are done they each have a mini comic strip of the story.  The kids take turns showing theirs on the ELMO.  They really enjoy it and it gives me a quick assessment of how well they were understanding the story using visualization. 

Check back later....I have another version of this I call Vocabmics.  It's comic strips with vocabulary words:)

Photobucket

4 comments

  1. Sounds great! I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~ Mrs. Mc
    Little Literacy Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, thanks, thanks...I do think making a mental picture is a skill that 4th graders say they can do...but not really.

    Pat
    my blog: http://atimetoshareandcreate.blogspot.com

    my web site:http://pbaker.lakesidecentral.k12.ne.us/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    I had to check out your blog after you left us a comment and I must say-I LOVE it! You have wonderful ideas and your blog is just darling! I can't wait to get more great ideas!

    Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top