Book Whisperer Chapter 3

Have I said I just love this book?  I am going to have to kick it into high gear and read ahead beacause my summer vaca is rapidly coming to an end...

"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road.  They are the destination, and the journey.  They are home."  Page 49  Love this!!

Stealing Reading Moments
Now to share and instill this in my students hearts and minds!  I have a confession.  I have my students do "morning work" (bell ringers, do nows...what ever you call them)  I would also like to add that I do feel like they are purposeful activities but I'm going to attempt to "jump off the cliff" this year and steal that time for reading.  Does it scare me?  Heck yeah...I am one that doesn't like big change.  I do better if I have a "heads up".  So, I am giving myself a heads up.....Tara, there is big change a comin!!  (anyone else gonna try this and are you a little nervous?)

I thankfully already had added an independent reading time (I.R.T.) in my center rotations last year but see as I read that it wasn't near enough time. 

"Because reading has more impact on students' achievement than any other activity in school, setting aside a time for reading must be the first activity we teachers write on our lesson plans, not the last." Page - 52

"Research has confirmed that independent reading s the better use of our time." Page - 55

I'm sold and have been.  I would do reading all day everyday (my kids LOVE literature circles) but unfortunately don't feel like I have that "freedom"....thank you state assessments and other things and people:(  But starting now, will have my kiddos read every free opportunity they can get.  I did do a little of that last year but felt my dormant and underground readers would embrace this but my developing readers would fight it every step of the way....am I alone?

Creating a place for Reading
I have several little cushions for the kids to grab and find a quiet place to read.  Last year I also set up a Reading Cafe. (I wish I had pics, but don't :((  )  I found these great solid (no holes) crates at Target and flipped them upside down to use as little tables.  Then have adorable polka dot (chair) cushions. I put 2 to a table.  A cute round place mat and a little plant in the middle and voila....my Reading Cafe.  I also have printed several quotes about reading and laminated them and put them up on the wall around my Reading Cafe sign.  Last year the kids loved to read in the Cafe.

I also have disc chairs in another corner so my kiddies have lots of places to go and read.  I also agree with Miller though....even though I have put the time, energy, and money into the cute little reading set up, I have students who are just as happy to lay under their desks and read.  It's about the passion, not the place:)
(That quote was by me, Tara:))


Photobucket

7 comments

  1. I love your added on quote! Totally agree!

    Jennifer
    http://3rdgradelearners.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "TO DO" for today is to go pick up The Book Whisperer from Barnes and Noble. Then I need to catch up with you guys! My students reading in the morning gives me a little anxiety. We have about 15 minutes from the time they walk in my room till they go to PE to read. Last year, their morning work consisted of completing homework or checking with a partner and completing a journal prompt. I am so up for trying to get them to read in the morning for that 15 minutes or even doing small centers with some on computers and giving them free choice of reading. Hmmm.. I am going to have to think some more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my kids would have had you for a reading teacher!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your "cafe" idea! A few years ago I set up a "cabana" as my comfy corner, but, you guessed it, the fire marshal made me take it down. And the kiddie beach chairs I used for several years "died" this year, so I am searching for something! I agree with you---this book is AMAZING!

    colormehappyinkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up with the swamp....great thoughts!
    Swamp Frog First Graders

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK! So I bought the book and caught up last night. I couldn't put the book down. It is very inspiring. So have you started planning for the first week back at school?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top