Christmas Craft Linky at TBA

Since it's Christmas in July, TBA is having a Christmas Craft linky:)  Here's my craft.  My students and I each year make crystal ornaments.  The recipe is super easy and they just love it.  Recipe and Instructions.  All you need is: warm water, Borax, pipe cleaners, string, and some jars.  Of course I can't find the pics of my class and their ornaments (which makes me crazy because they were awesome!) but, these look super close.

The link I put for the recipe is a little different than the way I do it.  Here's a brief instruction on how I do mine.  They make a shape with their pipe cleaner.  Stars are popular but they have also done hearts and their initials.  Tie on a piece of yarn.  I (not the kids) heat the water.  I have used very hot successfully, not boiling.  I put in the borax and then I let them carefully stir the mixture until almost all the borax is dissolved.  Then I attach the yarn to a pencil and hang the pipe cleaner shape in the mixture.  That's it.  The fun part starts as you wait for your wonderful crystal ornament:)


This is an all time favorite every year and it's pretty amazing because we "mix it up" (water and borax) and drop in their pipe cleaners and it happens over night!!  They are so excited to come in the next morning and see their crystals!!  A few tips I have learned from doing this so much:
- try to have a container/jar big enough so the pipe cleaners are clear from the sides and bottom (if it's too close the crystals grow to the jar and might break the ornament.)
- for some strange reason..sometimes it doesn't work, just try again
- make sure the water/borax mixture is mixed thoroughly
- I dry them on paper towels

Don't feel like you have to do them all at once!  If you plan ahead and tell the kiddos by the end of the week they will all have one, I find it works well.  I do about 5 a day.  Then I can have fewer containers and they can be bigger.  My kids were still so excited to come in in the morning to see whether it was theirs or not:)

P.S. This is also a fun Science experiment:)
Photobucket

6 comments

  1. I love this! I've never heard of these before and I think I will do it this year!

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! I love science! I may have to try that with my kinders, they will love it.

    krazyinkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I typically do this experiment during the week we learn about ice and snow, but I like your idea better! Christmas gifts, yippee!!

    You're right, sometimes it doesn't work. I think it helps if the water is truly hot when poured into the jar. If the room cools substantially (we turn down the heat every evening to 65 degrees), overnight, that also seems to help.

    :-)ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never seen this before! How neat! Thanks for linking up with TBA's Christmas Craft Linky Party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tara! Just wanted to let you know that I am making these on Monday with my kids. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top