My Vocabulators:)

I talked about my vocabulators in a previous post but didn't have pics.  Now that I have been in my classroom, I snapped a quick one.  The kids love these to use with their writing:)

The containers I got from the Melissa Forney training I went to last summer.  I'm pretty sure you can purchase them on her website.  From left to right, this is what I have:

- the one with gumballs is full of color words (like pumpkin instead of orange...)
- the green rice are words to use instead of big and you can't see them but there are dinosaurs in there too:)
- the yellow one is a theme one: Florida words - it has little suns confetti, sunglasses, a tourist, and Florida animals
- the pink one, words to use other than happy - it is also filled with smiley face confetti and these cute plastic flowers with smiles
- the clear/white one is filled with this floral filler that looks like little ice pieces - it is words to use other than cold - there are also little snowflake buttons in there and clear jewels
- the blue one is another theme - ocean words - it has fish confetti and also small plastic sea animals

On Melissa Forney's website it also tells how to dye the rice.  It is pretty easy.  LTM party store is a great place to get all kinds of fun confetti, lots of different shapes, colors, and themes.  Michaels is where I got all the little animals to add to them.  They have tubes of little animals and theme type things.  The kids really love the added treasures mixed in with the words.  Once I decided my theme or overused word...I typed up a document with the new words.  I typed each word 2 times.  Cut them all out and then glued the pairs together, back to back, so no matter which way they shake or turn it, they can still see the word:)  Once glued, I laminated, cut out again and done.  Put it all together and have fun: D  Hope this all makes sense and is helpful;)
Photobucket

22 comments

  1. Love them! I have had them on my to do list forever, but just can't seem to muster the energy to make them. I'm wondering how much my 5th graders would use them. Thanks for the inspiration. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a Melissa Forney conference a few weeks back and she had some of these out as samples. Her assistant did a demonstration of them during one of our breaks and I missed it because of a phone call. I have wondered what they were used for. You are right they do have the tubes for sale on her website. How often do your kids use these? I was worried it would become more of a distraction but the way you describe them they sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these!! I just use sturdy water bottles and the kids love them! Your's are oh so pretty, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen/heard of these. Thanks for sharing!! I have a teaching question about a bulletin board on my blog. If you have time, I'd love your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! Thanks for sharing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I've never seen or heard of these before. This would be a fun project to do with the students while studying synonyms!

    Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are an awesome idea! Thanks for your comment today. One thing you could do is start Daily 5 at the beginning of the year, then add CAFE later on or even next year. Best wishes on moving your daughter to college! I know it is a big transition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love this idea! Especially the fillers, like gumballs and dyed rice- they make it that much more fun to look at. Talk about motivation!

    Thanks for the idea, and for following me Tara!

    I am now stalking,er, following you as well!

    Happy Friday.

    Live.Laugh.Teach.Repeat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a new follower and a new fourth grade teacher (I have always taught second)! I love this idea and I will be reading with more ideas ALL THE TIME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this!! I teach second and will make these for my room this year! I am now a new follower:)

    Dana
    http://simplyinspiredtoteach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are awesome! (And, I am so psyched that I am on your blog list! I love following you on Pinterest, too!)

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doing it! Just found you pinned on pinterest and am so glad I did. . .thanks for sharing!
    mrsmaysplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have a list of the words anywhere that you put in them? Or could you email them to me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun! I can totally picture the kids shaking them up and then really remembering those words later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how did you get your rice to be dark green? mine is continually lime green. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Casey,
    I used a gel food coloring and quite a bit of it. I actually thought it would be a lighter green than it turned out to be:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I'll try again with a lot more food coloring. Did you use rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer as well, to dye the rice?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing this...I look forward to preparing these for my 3rd graders. Check out my blog for some ideas to use as Literacy Centers in your classroom. I have several that can be used with 4th graders.

    http://mcelhinnyscenterstage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great way to get kids excited about looking for new words.

    Kaylee's Education Studio

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top