Sunday, August 21, 2011

Daily 5 Work on Writing Freebie!

We are getting ready to enter week 3 of school and week 3 of Daily 5 (which I adore!).  I have introduced Read to Self and Work on Writing.  ( We have also done quite a bit of Listen to Reading, it just hasn't been officially introduced yet.)  I was going to introduce Work on Words this week but am thinking of pushing that back a week as we work to build stamina in the others and continue practicing.  Of ALL the wonderful words of wisdom I have received from my bloggin friends, the one that I get the most is: DON'T RUSH, take your time.  So that's what I am doing:)

Now for the freebie!  Pinterest is killing me!!!! (in a good way;)  )  Anywho, came across this idea to add to my Work on Writing from Laura at Delightful Daily 5.  She has made topic or theme journals that the whole class could contribute to.  During Work on Writing a student may choose a topic journal and then the next day, someone else can and so on.....then you have a collection from a mix of students.  I have given my kiddos the opportunity to share some of their writing during check in last week and am blown away already by their creativity so think they will do great with this!  I so loved this idea, I had to make some for my 4th graders:)  Here is what I came up with:


Thank you to my super amazing daughter for creating the covers for me:)))  She came home from college for a visit this weekend after a vball tourney....my heart is singing!!!!  The covers she made for me are my freebie for today:)


If you haven't done it already, don't forget to enter my giveaway for an adorable teacher portfolio from Doodle Bugs Paper!!  You can enter here:)

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And a great way for me to use up some of those $0.15 notebooks I find myself buying at back-to-school time!

    Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This is so cute! I can't wait to start Daily 5 again this year. I am nervous with my new class...but I got to remember to take it slow! Have a wonderful rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great idea. Perfect for the upper grade Daily 5. The bonus is that kids will also be reading the other kid's entries. Another neat component would be to add Post-it compliments where the reader could comment on someone's entry. This takes a bit of modeling, of course, but what an authentic audience!! Thanks for sharing the covers!
    ~Kitty
    The Write Handed Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I'm having work on writing everyday this year for 30 minutes, so this sounds like a great idea.

    I have only introduced Read to Self and after 2 days we're only up to 8 minutes.

    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great ideas, thanks for sharing!!! I'm going to attempt Daily 5 this year. First in my school eeeeee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. I am kinda nervous that my kids (5th grade) might make inappropriate comments or write things that are mean to someone else's writing in the shared notebooks. Has anyone tried this? Does it go over well with older kids?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've decided to use composition notebooks for this writing.

    Lindsay...try a few journals and see how it goes. Maybe upper elementary could be movie reviews, sport's teams, tv show reviews. Make sure your student signs his/her name to hold them accountable and let your students know this is a privilege, not an assignment.
    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your site! Great ideas and superb D5 ideas.

    ReplyDelete