Work on Writing Great...Word Work?

I love Daily 5, I love Daily 5, I love Daily 5....I looooooooooove Daily 5!  (That was my singing voice btw;)  )
Ok, is this terrible?  I am kind of nervous and keep waiting for the "honeymoon" to be over.  I can't get over how well this is all going!!  Starting my morning off with reading (The Book Whisperer idea) has been wonderful!  It starts the day in a peaceful way AND because we are reading sooooo much, the kids really are falling back in love with reading instead of "reading for a job or assessment".  They even complained when I dinged my chime today for check in after a Read to Self practice.  I'm not believing this.....and they are doing the same with Work on Writing.  Thanks all for the advise.  So far when we have practiced Work on Writing they have stayed in their seats and I have given them something specific to write about reminding them that as we build our stamina, they will have freedom to chose what they write and where they sit.  They are doing awesome with this too!!!  I am oh so excited!!  Yikes, our Lead Teacher popped in today with our county reading person and now they want to come back and film!!!  EEKK and I don't mean the Daily 5 EEKK!!!  I don't like being filmed.  She liked what she saw so I guess that's a good thing:)

I have to say that I don't feel that this would all be going as well as it is without the advice from my bloggy friends who have "been there and done that" with Daily 5.  So THANK YOU and I'm here asking for more wisdom....anyone have any advise for the Word Work??  What to start with.....only a few in the beginning...what you do....????
Photobucket

6 comments

  1. Check out this blog post on word work:

    http://juiceboxesandcrayolas.blogspot.com/2011/08/daily-3-word-work.html

    She emailed me the zip file of her word work and it looks fabulous! It may help! You should post the video once they take it!

    Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ultimate plan is for students to integrate technology into the Word Work Center, either using Spelling city.com, powerpoint or animoto. Instead of defining words using paper and pencil student can choose 2- 3 vocabulary words to make a slideshow from by defining the word, using it in a sentence, and finding a synonym or antonym for the word. Honestly, I haven't taught any tech lessons yet like I planned. I have had to focus on rules and procedures this week. I also keep getting students in my class. I am up to 36 as of today! It is soooo crazy. I am thinking of taking my planning tomorrow to teach 6 students how to use Tagxedo and then letting them teach a few students in groups. I'll let you know how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Tara! I'm so glad it's going well. Hopefully, it will just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad Daily 5 is going so well for you! I absolutely love it. The honeymoon period will not end! I'm going into my 3rd year using it and I still love it as much, if not more! My word work changes and evolves throughout the year. During the launch, I usually talk about the main materials: play-do, wiki stix, bingo daubers, dry erase markers, letter stamps. The students use these to spell out their spelling words and think of other words that fit their pattern. I also introduce other word work activities that go along with our mini-lessons: synonyms & antonyms, prefixes & suffixes, etc. I think you just gave me an idea for my next blog post....

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! You mentioned in a comment on my blog that you have a writing activity to go along with the book First Day Jitters and asked I'd I wanted it! I would LOVE it, if you don't mind! My email is lanageren@yahoo.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nothing to do with the daily 5 but I thought it might be easier for you to find a comment on a more recent thread (and I've no idea how else to contact you - I'm going to blame the newbie-ness!).

    Anyway, I'm having an Assessment Linky Party on my blog and I'd love if you could post a link to your multiple choice stick fans. I think they're fantastic!!


    Baggy Trousers at A Crucial Week In The Life of an NQT

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top