Our Simile Story

Don't cha just love those days when you have everything planned out and all is going well and then you see "lightbulbs" going off above the heads of your peeps and everything swings a different direction and it's all awesome?!  Well, that happened Friday...sat down to read the kids Crazy Like a Fox a simile story during our writing block because we have been talking about creativity in our writing and creativity skills. 

I read the book, which they loved, and then was reading the back page and discussing how important is it to have similes in your story...how it spices them up and then stopped because it was a blurb about how to write your own simile story....the kids asked why I stopped and I told them what it said and they said "LET'S DO IT!!"  I couldn't not let them, their enthusiasm was awesome.  I told them we would do it after lunch.  (Good bye Science plans for the day.....)  Sorry, but this is one of those seize the moment times.

After lunch I told them they needed a story line....they came up with several but the one they decided on was a girl and boy in the park and aliens come and take the girl, the boy turns into a super hero and saves her.  I cannot even begin to tell you how all the pieces of this fell into place and they did 98% of the work.  I put them in pairs first.  Then we brainstormed the main idea for each page of our book. (each pair of kids was responsible for a page).  I won't give all the details but it went kind of like this:
Page 1: boy and girl at the part
Page 2: Alien ship comes out of the sky
Page 3: Aliens take Jasmine (girl)
Page 4: Aliens fly to Neptune...

You get the idea.  Plotting it out on the board was all I did, they did the rest.  They each had to write the "story" for their page and each page had to have at least one simile.  They worked so hard and their teamwork blew me away.  Once the words for each page were done, I read it aloud to make sure it all flowed together...they only had to make 2 changes.  Then they copied onto computer paper, illustrated it and taa daa....we have our book.  It really is hilarious....the boy, Bob finds super hero gum and chews it so he can save Jasmine from the aliens.  (again, all them.....love their imaginations:) )  I am totally going to look into sending it off and having it made into a book for the classroom.  They did an awesome job and were so excited and proud of it. 




I really wish I could post the whole book.....it really is awesome.  The final product was 11 pages long plus the cover:)  I feel like their doing this little activity really helped them connect to using similes in their writing.  No, it wasn't in my lesson plans but sometimes when things like that happen, those are better than any lesson you could plan for:D
Photobucket

9 comments

  1. Tara,
    This was an amazing moment in your class and you must have been in awe with the abilities of your students. That is the BEST feeling in the world. It makes teaching so worth while. I have a website you might be interested in if you want to get the book published in hard back books and the kids can each have their own copy for $1. I have not personally ordered from there but heard it was awesome!! What a great way to reward the kids for creative real work!!! Hope it's info. that you can use. The website is: www.studentales.com
    ~Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!!! I LOVE it!!! I need to get my hands on this book and do this activity with my kids!! Thank you SO much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a teachable moment with an awesome focus! Your students did an amazing job and they were all actively engaged. I purchased this book this but hadn't had the opportunity to explore the bool yet. Thanks for sharing this lesson. Will definitely borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you mentioned this because I have that book and have completely forgotten about it! I have to dig it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your awesome blog! I have awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award. Drop by when you get a chance and pick it up.

    Have a Happy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy reading your blog. I am giving you the "I Heart Your Blog" Award.

    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome post...thanks so much for featuring Crazy Like a Fox...have pinned this post!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top