Creating Mental Images

I use Reader's Toolkit and one of the skills is creating mental images.  It is one of the kids favorites.  Yesterday we did it with one of my fave holiday books....Santa's Stuck. 

I usually use the Mental Image Comic strip form that I made. (you can find it and read about it here).  I didn't this time because I wanted the kids to have a little more space to draw.  They just used plain white paper folded hamburger twice so you have 4 boxes.  I hid the book I was reading to them in a folder so they couldn't see any of it.  When it was time to read I had them all close their eyes, put their heads down and listen.  I stopped 4 different places in the book (one for each of the boxes and told them to draw)  I set a timer for 3 minutes.  Each time the beeper went off I told them to close their eyes again and  I continued reading.  We have been talking a lot about "mind movies" with their writing and how I should have a mind movie when I read their papers.....today they drew their mind movie:)  It is a really neat way to peek into their minds and see how they think and if they are getting it (comprehending) or not.  They did a super job  and some of their pictures blew me away because they were so close to the book.  After I finished the book, I read it again, showing them the pics and they compared theirs to the book.  I know most of you have read this book (if you haven't, you must...too cute) so you should recognize some of the pics:D

(this student did  a split screen....dog pushing and reindeer pulling...haha, brilliant)

the reindeer pulling....

the dog, the cat, and the kittens pushing...


Love this one....you can see Santa "POP" out of the chimney!!

If you haven't already don't forget to pop over (get it POP....Santa popped..., ok I'm tired) to Farley's blog and enter all the 12 Days of Christmas giveaways.  Lots of awesome stuff!!!  I'm too excited to be part of that too.  I will be guest blogging on the 9th day of Christmas so check back....I have 2 super fun items to giveaway!!!

7 comments

  1. oh darn I wish I hadn't already read this one but I will find another great Christmas book to do this with. Thanks so much for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great lesson! Will def. be using it!

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to HAVE to find this book now. How fun! I will definitely be finding a place for this in my lesson plans. ~Amanda The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been SO behind on blogging so I haven't commented in a while! I need to catch up and go back and read your posts! First, I LOVE your blog make-over. It looks great!

    I LOVE this idea! What cute ideas. My students would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that book from teaching Kindergarten and have been wondering how to use it with my 6th graders-THIS IS A GREAT IDEA AND GOING TO BORROW IT!!! :)

    Shannon
    http://6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! By the way I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top