Saturday, December 3, 2011

Fun Friday with Math Centers

Instead of starting a new chapter in Math (just tested Thursday) I decided to do some fun Math centers with the gang.  I am totally embarrassed to say that this is the first time we have done this....(I am completely stressed out about how fast this year is going and how I have to get every lovely thing in for allllllllllll the assessments......you get the idea)  ANYWHO, didn't want to start a new chapter and then reteach it Monday so we did Math Centers.  What a huge success!!  I set up 3 rotations.  The first was my good old soda pop top multiplication.
I made these 2 years ago and they are still going strong!  I collected tons of pop tops and then cleaned them good.  I bought the little round garage sale stickers.  The Math fact is on the outside of the top, the answer is on another sticker on the inside.  The kids put them all outsides up and sit in a circle.  They chose one, say the fact and the answer, then check.  If they are right, they keep it, if not it goes back in the pile.  They really loved this.
My next rotation was one I thought of the night before.  I saw these super adorable calendar cards on Doodle Bugs Teaching blog!  (Kacey's stuff is always cute!!)  Well we just finished our chapter on double digit by double digit multiplication.  I printed them, laminated, cut them out and the kids used their dry erase boards.  They sat in a circle, put all the cards face down.  They took turns turning over 2 at a time, then had to multiply.  When they were all done they checked answers.  I couldn't get over how truly sweet and patient some of the kids were with others that weren't as fast or maybe doing something wrong....so proud of them:)

Our last rotation was a cute game I got as a freebie from Sunny Days in Second Grade.  Love this blog too!!   Denise is having a 5 days giveaway and this was one of them.  Be sure to go check it out!!  This game is called Reindeer Dash.  It's addition and subtraction.  Super fun!!
Needless to say, we will be doing more of this in the next 2 weeks!!  My kids had a blast and were learning all along!!  

I also wanted to let you know I have posted a few new activities to my Teachers Notebook store and would be oh so happy if you would take a sec and check them out:D  

Happy weekend all!!!

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your bottle tops for multiplication. I am definitely going to make those. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara!

    This looks like so much fun! And the variety of activities/materials make it possible to have "something for everyone"! BTW, it's only "too late" to do something if it's July.

    I left you a message at my site, but I am reposting it right here so you don't even have to click! It says...

    Silly Goose! NO apologies necessary! I'm just glad to visit your site and read and learn. And I can see your little bitty picture in the followers box. So: It's all good!

    Happy Day!
    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bottle caps multplication idea too--so brilliant! That will definitely be on my list of summer projects this year. Thanks Tara, I always love peeking into your classroom!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you just made my center for this week. My kids really need to practice some basic facts. This will help a TON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen the bottle pop multiplication, but so going to make it!! LOVE it!! I do rotations with games every day so this will make a perfect station!
    Jennifer
    jennmom@comcast.net
    3rd grade teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Tara, your new look blog is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for sharing these wonderful math centers. I LOVE your bottle top center (I will have to start collecting bottle tops)! Congratulations on setting up your Teachers Notebook store!! I am jumping across right now to check it out. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead.
    Tina

    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tara,
    Congratulations on receiving the Sunshine Award! I just awarded you myself and in the process of looking for a way to contact you, I saw that you were already awarded. What a testiment to your teaching! Congratulations!
    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tara...
    You made me feel better!
    :) Monday is not the best blogging night for me normally...but still!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey hey! Thanks for posting about your math centers! (Obviously totally up my alley.) I recently implemented a math menu into my math class time. My students LOVE it and so do I!! I'll have to blog about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these ideas Tara! I'm getting started now for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some friends saving the bottle tops! I am SUPER excited! My husband says to go to the coke plant and see if I can get them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool is that?? I LOVE the math center ideas. I'm going to borrow your soda pop math fact ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete