Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Grinch Day Fun:D

I just LOVE bloggy land.  I would live there all the time if I could:)  Thanks to all the wonderful bloggers I stalk   follow and am inspired by, we had the best Grinch themed day today! 

My girl and I in our Wally world Grinch tshirts.  She's home from college and has been my little elf this week:)

The day started with a mini-lesson on adjectives.  My kiddos are getting to be good writers but lack details with yummy adjectives so....my awesome daughter made this anchor chart for me, inspired by Amy at Step into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons.........................oops......looking.............ok, so spacey me forgot to take the pic!!!  So go to Amy's blog and see my inspiration:)


Next I told them they were going to get to watch the Grinch movie (original) and they had to come up with a list of adjectives to describe him (when he was being bad).  Then we did another blogland, Pinterest inspired anchor chart from Mrs. Carroll at The First Grade Parade:
They did a pretty good job coming up with adjectives for our old buddy the Grinch and had a blast!  Then they wrote a paper on: Their day with the Grinch.  Can't wait to read them all!!!  They made covers for their papers and we made them books:)


And finally, one last idea from Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens.  I printed the lyrics of the Grinch song and we found the similes and metaphors.  We chose the old famous words:
You're as cuddly as a cactus and you're as charming as an eel, which they drew and they were adorable:

I kinda pulled this all together at the last minute so didn't have enough time to get green candy canes....ours had green stripes so that counts right??

I am oh so grateful for the inspiration I get daily from the place called blog land!!!  Thank you all!!  We will definitely be doing this again next year and I plan to add to it:)

The Grinch and his adorable little dog even paid a visit to our room!!  (I know I should know this but what is that poor little dogs name????????  Anyone???)

9 comments:

  1. Soooo cute! I love that you themed the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dog is Max! Thanks for the shout out! I love the "My Day With the Grinch" stories. I'll have to do that next year. Check my blog soon for another awesome lesson we did today!

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ideas!! I just did Grinch day today too! I stole...urg...borrowed the idea from pinterest of making a big Grinch face with a huge open smile. In the smile, they wrote phrases of things that make them feel "grinchy" like "when my sister is in the shower too long, so my shower is cold", "when I have to help my mom go grocery shopping". It was cute! Other teachers fill the smiles with ways they would make the Grinch smile, but my kids and I had a cute discussion about pet peeves and got some cute and innocent gripes off their chest :) We also found things in the story that they could write their own similies about...the Grinch's heart was as small as a ______, the grinch was as green as ________, The Grinch's sleigh was packed as high as ________, His frown was as sour as __. What a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice way to tie in all of these great activities together! I'm sure your kids had a blast!!!

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo, you and your girl look like SISTAS! I am going to get mine from school tomorrow!! YAY . . . they've got a semester behind them . . . did that fly by or what?

    Wishing you a wonderful holiday and thanking you for sharing so many fabulous ideas!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just rocks! I love how you tied everything together!! I feel like a Grinch, I haven't done anything really Christmasy yet. But thanks to your fabulous post, I might be able to do something nice and educational! Thanks for the sweet words on my blog--I am so glad we are bloggy pals!!! :) :)
    Kristen
    PS You and your daughter are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tara:
    Great picture of the two of you!
    As you know. holiday stuff is banned at my school... but I just found out the P. might be absent on Friday. I think we can play the song and analyze the lyrics...I think similes and metaphors are rather innocent, don't you? I'm going to figure out how to sneak this in!
    Thanks for the idea!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your ideas. Can't figure out when you have time to blog, but glad you do. Hoping you or one of your wonderful pals can help me out. I am trying to figure out a cute way to have the kids participate in a snack exchange next week. I can't get my brain to think right now. Funds are limited and last year we did something where the kids brought in a snack, drink and gift from dollar store in brown bag. We played the left right game and then everyone opened their bags and enjoyed. I can't find the silly letter and really, my brain is FRIED right now. Thoughts or ideas?

    ReplyDelete