1st Day Back, Math Pack Update and Stuff

Today wasn't too bad.  Not bad at all:)  I was pleasantly surprised at how the peeps fell back into routine so well.....this is my first year with Daily 5 and thinking all that training them at the beginning of the school year has a lot to do with their good "rebound".  (Hoping it lasts and today wasn't a fluke).

Thanks to Hope at 2nd Grade Shenanigans and her "Bright New Year" tags, my kiddos started their day off with this on their desks. 
They LOVED the glow sticks.  They were bracelets.  They also got my New Year bookmark that I made.  It's a freebie on my Teachers Notebook.  You can get it HERE

I introduced the Math Packs.  (read about them HERE)  They are too excited about this new addition to homework.  Tomorrow I am sending home a quick little letter giving parents a heads up about the Math Packs and how we will be starting them on Monday.  I also introduced one of the 2 games.  I will do this weekly.  Here are some pics of the finished (manipulatives included) packs:D



I am storing the bags in this tub. Each morning when the students come in they will put them here.  Then during lunch, I will have time to check and make sure they have all the pieces and are ready for the next group.


We also had time for a snowball fight:)  Since it doesn't snow in Florida (although I am pretty sure it came close this morning when my thermometer said 28!!!!)  They kids each wrote 3 things about themselves and wadded up their paper.  Then we had a snowball fight.

If you look super close....you can see all the "balls" flying.  They had too much fun with this....after about 1 minute, they all grabbed a ball and went back to their desks and took turns reading them and trying to figure out who the snowball belonged to.  This is a great getting to know you activity for the beginning of the school year but also a fun refresher after a break.  Plus I got a new student today so it was good for her to learn about her classmates.

With the Florida writing test quickly approaching we are working hard and polishing and working and polishing.  Today was a descriptive writing mini lesson.  We chatted about how using our 5 senses helps make our writing so much better.  We brainstormed some words for each of the 5 senses and then made an anchor chart to reference.


Overall, really good day...although I am whooped!  Prob from being a lazy daisy all Christmas break....Oh well.
I've added some new word sorts to my Teacher Notebook and would love for you to check them out:D  We are adding them to our word work tomorrow.




Happy Hump day all!!!

10 comments

  1. Love the words you and your kids brainstormed think I may pair this with a writing activity I found on lifein4b.blogspot.com

    Glad you had a great first day back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great day back! I love the snowball fight...so much fun!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE how you welcomed your kids back! Looks like you had a GREAT day! I'm stuck (happily) in lazy daisy mode until Monday.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun day! :)
    Math packs look awesome. It was super hard for this Florida girl to get out of bed this morning...we're such cold weather wimps!
    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be a kid in your class!!! :)
    I love having snowball fights. Too fun!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray!!! By the way, my kids are getting their hands on your bookmarks tomorrow! So cute!!!!

    Hope
    www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute snowball fight! We may have to do that here in Illinois because we haven't gotten any snow yet! (Besides, it would not follow expectations for students to throw real snowballs at school!) I have done a similar activity with paper airplanes. The kids think it is great that you are letting them do something "illegal."

    Love it. Thanks for sharing. Hope the rest of your week goes as well!

    Jennifer
    visLifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry your vacation is over, but I so love seeing what you do in your class!! I can't believe it's so cold in your town right now! If it's any consolation, I was just telling Reagan that it was 2 degrees this morning when I got into my car. That's too cold even for this New England girl (we've had a mild-ish winter so I've been spoiled!).

    I am really loving the math packs. Will you be sharing more about them as the year progresses? I would love to put something like this together...might have to wait 'til the next vacation though! Talk to you later :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted about you 5 senses anchor chart activity on my blog. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top