MLK Mobile Activity and Sharing some Love

Happy 3 day weekend all:)  I wanted to share the Martin Luther King Jr. activity we did yesterday (in case maybe anyone needed an idea for next week.....or, there's always next year)  First my kiddos watched two video clips about Martin Luther King Jr. that I had downloaded from United Streaming.  They were super intrigued and I have to say, I even got goose bumps during the parts of his famous speech!

After the video clips we brainstormed some of the words that stood out and were important to Martin and what he stood for:
Then we read the book Martin's Big Words
and added to our list.  We talked about Martin's dream for this world and how one person can and did make a difference.  Then each child got a card, inspired by the words we discussed, each child had to choose a word and write about their dream for the world today.  (their word on one side and their dream on the other)   They attached their card to a mini "world" they made and we made a mobile of our dreams for the world:D  ( I have to say, some of their dreams brought tears to my eyes...they really put some thought into this)


I also wanted to join the wonderful linky that Mrs. Wills is hosting to share some love with Joplin.  Those teachers are trying to rebuild after the devastating tornadoes last year.  You can donate a TPT product or Teachers Notebook or gift card to help those teachers as they rebuild.  I'm sharing my Snowman Boggle and Snowy Day Word Sort.  I know I couldn't do what I do without the help and support of fellow teachers so let's link up and send them our love and support:D

10 comments

  1. Tara, I love the mobile!!!! I had ordered Martin's Big Words on Thurs. night from Amazon and expecting to come by Monday so we can read it together in class on Tues.
    We did some great activities yesterday {I will post on my blog soon} and continue them on Tues. Seems like you had a great lesson and that your kiddos truly conceptualized it!

    Come by and check out my 500 follower giveaway :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, love, LOVE the mobiles!!! We used to make mobiles when I taught Spanish and it was the BEST project! EnJOY your weekend . . . we're taking our college girl back Sunday so I'm preparing . . . today I'm talking to a group of parents of juniors and seniors about the transition and I plan to help prepare them, too!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your mobiles! They are gorgeous and what a big statement! I bet those kids were really proud and excited about what you helped them create! I actually got goosebumps too in the US movie of martins big words. I loved the quote hate doesn't drive out hate, only love can do that! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tara:
    Such a great activity... so filled with love and compassion. It's like OLW Kid Style!
    How lucky your kids are that their teacher asked them look into their HEARTS to think about MLK Jr (rather than just cheering for a day with no school)
    You're my role model today and I'll keep you with me as I finish planning my lessons for Tuesday.
    Thanks (as always) for sharing.

    KIm
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tara!
    What an amazing idea! Last year I taught Social Studies instead of Science and I read Martin's Big Words with my 7th graders. We are the epitome of a multicultural school (basically all continents are represented in each class haha) and I had 7th grade girls crying and hugging their friends :) They would have loved making this mobile. I will be passing the idea on to the new SS teacher this year! Thanks for sharing !

    Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE your mobiles! Those are too precious... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award! Head over to my blog to learn the details! : )

    http://talesfroma4thgradeteacher.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your mobiles! They turned out really cute. I bet your students had a great time making them!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top