Place Value People

I saw this idea at Jennifer's blog called Lifelong Learning and knew I just had to try it out:D  First of all, if you haven't been to her blog, you must go!!  She has some super ideas....her blog was one of the first blogs I started following even before I started blogging. 

Anywho, the other day she had a post called People Numbers.  Well, that caught my interest and I had to check it out and am glad that I did.  She uses this great kinesthetic activity in her classroom to help her kids "get" place value.  She put numbers on construction paper and laminated it, including commas and periods.  Then she hands them out and says a number and the students with the numbers...wait for it......MAKE IT:D  How cool is that?! 

So we tried it today.  I had to make up some super cute numbers (cuz I have purchased soooooooo much clipart, alphabets, and numbers and they can't go to waste....right?)  I handed out the numbers.  My kiddos sit in groups so I gave each group 2 or 3 cards.  Then I said a number and they had to go to the front of the room and make it.  They had to have their listening ears on in order to get it right.  It was neat to see how they worked together to get it and who was really getting it and who wasn't. 

and have no fear.....the  ones who didn't have numbers were participating too...they each have dry erase boards, so they were writing while the others were making the numbers.  Then it was their job to check the number that was made and make sure it is correct.  Then all the "numbers" went back to their groups and they switched.
I plan on using this idea for decimals too:D  Thanks Jennifer!!

8 comments

  1. so cute! love anything that gets the kids up and moving!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I will definitely be doing it when I teach decimals next year!
    Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea!! I'll definitely have to use it next year when we cover place value again :)

    A Chocoholic Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! I'll be doing this in the near future to review! We have learned up to the hundred thousands place, and this will b great for them!

    3rd Grade Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mor, I love when they can move and around and learn. 'Cause they love movin'!!!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so much fun!!! I think I could do a version of that just with ones, tens, and hundreds. Love it! Was there a freebie for your super cute numbers? HINT HINT! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it went over well with your kids, Tara! I have never had a class who didn't like it! It does work well with decimals, too. Thanks for the shout out!

    Jennifer
    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  8. We nominated your blog for the Versatile Award! Head over to our blog to learn the details and to collect your award! : )

    http://fabulous-fourth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top