Vocabulary and Fun and an OH MY GOSH!!

Yipee....it's Friday:)))  AND my baby girl is coming home for the weekend so I am oh so happy!!  Wanted to share what we did in vocabulary today.  I have posted about our vocab journals before (HERE) and LOVE the way we use them BUT saw a different idea blog stalking this week and decided to switch things up a bit and try something new.

I came across this idea at Amanda's blog, One Extra Degree.  Super fantabulous blog, btw!!!  She blogged about a neat idea she does with her kiddos.  You can read about her super idea here.  I tweaked mine a tiny bit to fit the needs of my peeps.  I put the kids into teams and gave each team one of our new vocab words.  Still using their same vocab journals each team had to:
- look up the word in a dictionary and define it
- illustrate it
- write a sentence with it
- write part of speech
- then teach it to the class



They had a blast using the ELMO and playing teacher. I was super impressed with the connections they made with the words themselves with their pictures and their teaching the words to their classmates:)  As each team taught, the others copied down the new words in their journals.  These journals are a really valuable resource for them.  I'm thinking I'm going to love doing it this way!  I love them being the teachers and also using/practicing dictionary skills and using teamwork:)  Also, some of the kids within the same teams drew different pictures.  That was neat because some kids related to one and others may have related better to the other.  They got to chose which pic they added to their journal.  This is a totally new way of vocab for us......I'll let you know how it "sticks" after they take their tests but if today is any indication......we may have SUCCESS:D

Ok, for the OMG.......this little cutie...........Petunia
well.........ummmmmm.......well,....is not a Petunia!!!!  More like a Peter, or Paul, or Pedro..........!!!  Ya, I know....try telling 22 4th graders that their girl bunny needs a name change!!!!  So, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be......can you believe I didn't get one "how do you know????"  Just a bunch of "OH MY GOSH!!!!"  So, rabbit doesn't have a new gender friendly name yet....we're working on it and I'm open for any ideas:) 

On a lighter note, PLEASE stop back in tomorrow for a super giveaway!!!!  I'm really close to 800 followers so am going to celebrate with a giveaway and it's YUMMY (and it's not food!!!)


22 comments

  1. Whatever his name is is pretty cute! :)
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using a vocab. notebook. I use a purchased word of the week and have the students do the same thing as you expect. They love sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara:
    Love the new vocab presentation. Having the kids present is such a great idea; that type of learning builds so many different skills. Love the PeterPetunia commentary too!

    It's 9:55 in California and the Follower list is at 796. Aaaalllmmmoooosssstttttt there! I'll stop by tomorrow to check out the yummy-not-food post. You've really got me thinking!

    Happy Weekend!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Saturday morning the count is 797. Three to go...
      Hey! I replied to myself--I threaded my own thread?!

      Kim
      Finding JOY in 6th Grade

      Delete
    2. You funny girl!!!! You crack me up!! Thanks for the smiles:)

      Delete
    3. OhOhOh!!!!!!!
      It's 798. Two to go!
      It's like waiting for New Years!!!
      I'm going to go stand on a corner with a spinny sign...

      Kim
      Finding JOY in 6th Grade

      Delete
    4. You're totally killing me!!! Like wet my pants cracking me up!!! STOP;)))

      hugs!!! Geez, I hope when I post it, it's not a let down.....

      Delete
    5. Silly Goose, I'm excited about the Big 800.
      You could be giving away old, moldy cheese and I wouldn't be let down.
      Oh yeah. It's not food.

      Watching the numbers is like going to Las Vegas without getting out of my pajamas or turning on the Poker Channel.
      I think I made that channel up.
      My TV is permanently tuned to FoodNetwork. And Hoarders.
      Hhhmmmm. I could fit in at more than a few "meetings."

      I'm watching the little faces for you!

      Kim
      Finding JOY in 6th Grade

      Delete
    6. I adoooooore you!!! Now go find 2 friends to follow me!! Totally just kidding....if it happens it happens....I think I hope it happens more for you than me so you can stop watching the little faces!!! lol

      btw....the hubs tivoed (is that a word) a whole new list of Rifleman.....I'm kinda addicted now...

      Delete
    7. Rifleman was at our house today!
      Heeheehee... Go check out my last post
      (I amended it).
      I was getting cold standing on the corner.
      It probably won't help much (I don't get a lot of views these days, but sometimes clutter helps!)
      I am having a good time labeling empty boxes.

      {Fingers crossed for you}

      Kim
      Finding JOY in 6th Grade

      Delete
    8. Oh my good golly!!!!!!! My new blog bff PLEASE forgive me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea I didn't follow you until I just figured it out and blogger is acting up and I can't comment on your blog and I am freaking out and hope you come back here and read this and I am soooooo sorry...tho thorry....and hope you forgive me and understand that I am a flake and .......and....and....
      I gladly, proudly, happily follow you now!!!!

      Delete
    9. If I follow you and you follow me, we are walking in circles.

      799!
      Imagine really large font!
      Purple even!

      KimFinding JOY in 6th Grade

      Delete
  4. I love your vocab notebooks and presentations! So cool!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by to say "hi"! Your bunny is adorable...I will def ponder the name game.

    How is your college going for your little girl? :-) My son survived his initiation week and is no longer a lowly pledge. (Thank you, God.) Longest week EVER; he wasn't allowed to have any communication with the outside world.

    Your blog is filled with happy colors--love it!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy!!! College classes are going well for her....the vball thing...not so much....we are really praying for a good beach season and what to do next year...maybe transfer??? huge bummer...
      Thanks for popping by:) Or should I say hopping...haha

      Delete
  6. Poor Petunia. Or Petunio. I hope he's not going to have an identity crisis during one of your amazing lessons!
    You have peaked my curiosity about your giveaway!!!
    Enjoy your time with your daughter!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little bunny!!! The kids took the name change well!!!! Good for them!
    I love the vocab activity! My kids are required to write a sentence & illustrate every vocab word we learn. It is the only way they retain it.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  8. That happened with my guinea pig. Antonio became Antonia. The kids just wanted to know when she was having babies since she was a girl now. I was worried that was going to lead to a whole other topic. Yikes.

    2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I can't believe you have almost reached 800 followers! Amazing!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top