Weak Verbs vs. STRONG Verbs and Some Organization

Since this was a short week and following a break my focus this week for writing was REVIEW before we hit it hard and get back into writing our expository and narrative papers next week.  I shared a mini lesson we did in descriptive writing HERE.  We have reviewed onomotopias, similes, metaphors, personification and yesterday's lesson was STRONG verbs.  We read a cute poem from Melissa Forney's book Writing Superstars, then I wrote a sentence on the board with a weak verb.  The peeps had to copy the sentence and come up with at least 5 STRONG verbs to replace the weak verb, then they could illustrate it.  (cuz ya know how much my peeps LOVE to draw!)
(I think she meant bolted not blotted.....)

These crack me up....I can just picture a bird scooting or blasting out of a tree:)
They had fun with this.  I warned them, Monday starts the writing and timed writing and writing some more....in preparation of our lovely state writing test://///  ( I won't get started.....)

I also wanted to shared some storage/organization ideas I found and am using.  First I found this adorable little craft tote at Walmart.  Lots of pockets and pouches to hold everything.

I have all I need for reading groups and fluency (as well as all kinds of other things) right next to me in one spot instead of several spots and containers.
It's a nice small size and fits perfectly on the corner of my kidney table.  It was only six dollars. (I got the big one for home....$18.  I love Michaels but good golly their craft totes are so expensive!  These will do just fine.)

I also wanted to share this folder find my daughter found for me.
These are great!!  They are thicker plastic and purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect (I know I spelled that wrong:) ) for holding some of my Daily 5 Word Work!  Look on the inside!!
2 regular pockets and then one little one for the smaller pieces.  I put my word sorts in them.
My word sorts are at my Teachers Notebook.  I have added some new ones and a new spelling activity.

Just wanted to share:D  Have a relaxing weekend bloggy friends.  I am resting and gearin up for my student teacher that starts Monday!!

19 comments

  1. What a great activity!!! I love the tote!!!!!!!!!! what a great way to stay organized!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your strong/weak verb activity! I'm borrowing it for next week.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty awesome strong/weak verb activity! Thanks for sharing!
    Kate
    http://tothesquareinch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those bags..I have one and it holds all my craft paint...love it!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea for verbs!!! I love that! Where did your daughter find those folders? They look really nice. Happy weekend!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The folders are Mead and are at Walmart:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is your state writing assessment timed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately yes....because it's sooooo important they write in a certain amount of time and get all stressed out about it!!! Ooops!! I said I wouldn't get started....and here I go...I just don't like the pressure put on my babies:((

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the replace the weak verb with a stronger verb activity. VERY CUTE!!
    Your totes are awesome -- Love the pink one, of course!
    Those folders are very cool -- but I am definitely interested in your word sorts. They look so cute!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to find those folders now and here I thought I had a good system!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tote is excellent! I actually scraped my desk for a tote similar. It keeps me from chilling at my desk throughout the day. Thanks for giving me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovin' that tote! I can always use a little more organization in my life! :)

    Hope
    www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So how much time do they get? Our3rd and 5th graders are timed, but not 4th. What kind of writing prompt do they get? Ours are usually descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out my page to keep it going. http://mcteach5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just did this activity with my kiddos today. We used your pictures as an example and then did the sentence, "The cow ate the grass". They came up with some very funny and creative words. I was really looking for a good activity to do as a refresher on this skill, so this was perfect. If you've never read it, The Great Fuzz Frenzy is GREAT for modeling strong verbs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those folders are exactly what I need!! LOVE plastic folders but the pocket is genius!

    Just joined your blog and am a newbie to blogging.

    Summyr
    theteachaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. We must have been on the same page this week :) I made a teacher bucket and I just found your storage tote. Love it!!!
    Colleen
    Totally Terrific in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's the best explanation ever!! http://resumeperk.com/blog/top-200-most-powerful-resume-words-with-examples has prepared an essay with the most powerful words to include in your resume!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top