Hello, Tip, Twins, and 4 Day Weekend!!

And not in that order.....................................

Oh my good golly Miss Molly!!!!!!  I feel like I fell off the face of blogland:(  (well, it's only been a week, but feels like a month!!!)  I have been sick......AGAIN!!!!  This week has consisted of.....work, go straight home, go to bed, wake up and repeat......I finally went to the Doc Wednesday and am hopefully on my way to getting better!!!!!!  On top of lots of blog stalking to catch up on and Pinteresting to do and um.....housework......lots....and lots......I love my boys (hubs and teen) but when momma is sick the housework explodes into another galaxy............I wanted to let ya all know I'm still here:)

Good news is I have a 4 day weekend!!!!!  (dancing with joy)  So I will be ready freddy to get back to it Tuesday:)  We have today off for a hurricane day we didn't use (perks of living where hurricanes come) and Monday for Pres. day:)  

Twins update!!  First of all, for those of you who are my blog friends and don't "know me" and my original "Twins" post might have mislead you........I appologize!!!  I had quite the chuckle when my buddy Kim sent an OMG email telling me she had shot to the bottom of the post thinking I was having twins!!!  teehee.....Didn't even think about that when I posted it....I was too excited about the double babies (which I know.....birds don't have twins but.....)  So, here is an updated pic....they are much cuter now:


Since the hubs and Dr. said REST I am hoping my creative juices will kick in and I can make all kinds of goodies for my classroom and Teachers Notebook, with some freebies of course!!

I wanted to post a quick "How To"  for dying the rice I use in all my shakers and vocabulators:)
(2 of those aren't rice...one is gumballs and the other little clear beadlike filler from Michaels)

Coloring the rice is super duper easy. 
What you need:
- big bag of white rice (got mine from Wally world)
- large bottles of rubbing alcohol
- big bowls
- paper towels
- cookie sheets
- food coloring paste or gel (I'm sure you could use liquid but I read somewhere that gel or paste makes color brighter)

1) Pour rice into bowl and pour in enough rubbing alcohol to cover the top of the rice
2)  Add paste or gel and stir until all rice is covered


3) Let sit - the longer it sits, the more intense the color...the longest I let mine sit is an hour

4)  Drain rice
5) Put several layers of paper towels on cookie sheets
6) Pour wet rice onto paper towel lined cookie sheets

7) Let sit at least over night until completely dry

That's it:)

9 comments

  1. Hi Tara, Mommy of Bird-Twins...

    I'm sorry you are sick, but I am glad you have some rest time. And I am really glad you have a day off for NOT having a hurricane (Did I figure that out correctly? The Californians in the group may need content scaffolding!)

    I might try making some of those shakers. I think my EL group might enjoy finding the words. Okay, honestly... I just want to dye some rice pretty colors and this will give me an excuse.

    Missed you!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you are sick! I hope you get better quickly - we missed you!

    Thanks for the tutorial... I was wondering how to do that!

    Misty @
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you've been sick :( hope you get better soon!

    Thanks for the tutorial!! Can't wait to make those over the summer :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those twins are adorable! Sorry you are sick again. Love the colored rice. It is so bright and cheerful!

    2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your twin birds are so cute! Are you keeping them?
    Your dyed rice looks great? I've never seen food coloring gel or paste, but it must be true that it makes the rice brighter. I always used regular drops, and mine wasn't that bright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you are sick again, poor thing! Your twins are just beautiful though, so that's a consolation, hehe! They really are lovely :)

    I hope you have a very happy long weekend!!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally dying me some rice this weekend....those "Find- Its" are so neat (and frustrating when you JUST saw it but then you have to shake again......)

    Very cool, indeed!
    Staci

    Going Nutty! Come on, go with me!

    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit those birds are looking pretty cute now. :)
    I hope you feel better soon!!! NO FUN!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top