How Characters Change and a Lorax Freebie!

My kiddos are struggling with identifying how a character changes throughout a story.  I saw a wonderful idea from Miss T at Journey of a Substitute Teacher and couldn't wait to try it. 

Well, we did and, for a first time, it turned out awesome.  I used the book The Dot for this activity.  LOVE that book and so did my kiddos:)
To set it up, we took a piece of paper and folded it in half, opened it and folded top and bottom to the center fold line.  So when you are done you have two flaps, one that opens to the top and one to the bottom.  On the inside flap at the top they wrote "In the beginning" and on the bottom flap "In the End".  I told them I wanted them to pay close attention to the character, Vashti, how she is at the beginning of the story and then.....does she change?  If so, how is she at the end of the story? 

Then I read it and let them loose to write and then decorate the cover flaps.  They turned out so cute and I am so excited to do this activity again, many times.  They thought it was wonderful because they got to draw but they couldn't do that until the inside was completed.
This is 4 of them...you can kinda see where the flaps meet up.....


That's the top flap open.


This one was one of my favorites.....
I know, I know, I shouldn't have favorites......they were all awesome but this little girl yanked at my heart strings.  I'm sure I have said this before...... if I haven't here it is........my favorite word is BELIEVE.


I am constantly telling the students that they have to believe in themselves.  I am constantly telling my students that I believe in them  soooooo.........this little girl wrote for her "In the beginning" -

"You see, Vashti thinks that she's no good.  BUT, she is an artist, inside." <3 (yes, she drew the little heart)
"She didn't think that she was good because she didn't believe."

I am a true believer that you can be whatever you want to be if you believe in yourself and work towards that.  I think it's wearing off on my peeps:))))  (smile, sniff, tear:)  )

Hop over to Miss T.'s blog to see how she did this.  She used a different book:)  Thanks again Miss T for the yummy inspiration!!

I also whipped together another Seussy inspired worksheet for a freebie today:)  It's a worksheet to be used with informational text.....either books or ......I've got tons of Zoo Book magazines and Nat Geo mags so I am going to use it with them.
Fun Facts with the Lorax

It's a FREEBIE at my Teachers Notebook store if you want a copy, just click the pic and leave me some love:) 

11 comments

  1. Awww that turned out sooo great! I'm glad you were able to use it in your class and that your kiddos enjoyed it. Thanks for the shout out!


    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you tara! lol.. great freebie!
    I'm also going to try The Dot activity, ( a book I've never read ) can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the freebie! I hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Dot" is one of my all-time favorite books! This project looks great!

    My boy came home for Mardi Gras and I saw him for 45 seconds....long enough to hand him a $20 bill! This year certainly seems to be going by at warp speed. Hope your baby girl is doing well!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea! I can SO use this! Thanks for the freebie too!
    Jada

    daisydaysforlearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Dot!!! I always read it at the beginning of the year! Which I guess means I'll have to find another good book to use this fun activity with! Thanks for sharing, they turned out so cute!! Also, thanks for the freebie! I'm excited to use it this week!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lorax is my ultimate Seuss book! I love your nonfiction guide, and I'm totally using it with my guided reading groups tomorrow and Friday! We've been focusing in on the text features, so this fits perfectly! Thanks for sharing!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top