Visualizing, Book Recommendation and Twins??

Spoiler Alert!  Part of this post is not teacher/school related....well kinda teacher cuz it's related to me and I'm a teacher  so that counts right....or not.......but....yes, I'm rambling:)  (Drinkin a latte as I type:) )

First up..........visualizing.  We did a visualizing activity this week and it turned out awesome.  I have posted in the past about our visualizing or creating mental images.  I read a book and they sit with their eyes closed and at certain times during the reading I stop and say "Draw" and they have about 3 minutes to draw their mental image.  Then they close their eyes again and I read on.....then I stop and say "draw" again....you get the idea.  I usually stop 4 times.  I have the kids fold their paper to divide it into 4 boxes so they have 4 different places to draw.  It is best to do this activity with a book that they have never heard or seen before and that can be a challenge....that leads me to the recommendation portion of my post............................Have you ever heard of the book......................The Story of Frog Belly Rat Bone by Timothy Basil Ering??????
Oh my goodness!!!!!  I just LOVE this book!!!!  I love everything about it......it's fun, it's got lots of little lessons that you could pull (patience, friendship, hope.....)  The illustrations are my fave too!! 


So my lovelies hadn't heard this book before.......YEAH.....I put it in a folder so they couldn't see the cover and read it to them.......they had to draw 4 different times and then the ending is so cool I gave them all one more piece of paper to do the end...(they boy in the story lived in Cementland....dull, dreary,....a junkyard.....in the end of the book there's lots of colors...(can't tell you why...ya have to read it).  I was blown away at how the kids "mental images" were so close to the book even though they had never seen it. 

Dull, dreary Cementland 

New Cementland

Can I tell you how much my kiddos love doing this?!?!??!?!  Ya gotta check this book out...it's great:)
This activity is also a great "assessment" as to what's going on it their minds as you're reading....kinda cool.

Ok....sorry.......seems I'm a little long winded tonight.....now to the non-teacher/school maybe teacher related news......
A)


Is that soooooooooooo pretty?!  The hubs surprised me with it Thursday:)  I love orchids and have never seen a blue one!!!!  

B)
I know it's hard to see but I have twins!!!  Well, not twins......birds don't have twins do they???  For those of you who don't know....I have an outdoor bird aviary and went out there to feed them tonight and was surprised by not one but 2 baby diamond doves:))

Happy weekend all!!!  Going to see my baby girl this weekend at college:))))))) 

10 comments

  1. I love the visualizing activity! I may try that with my enrichment students! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaY - congrats on the twins!! EnJOY your college girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the twins!

    - Lisa
    A Teachers Bag of Tricks
    **I'm having a giveaway**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving those twin dove birds!!!! I wish I liked birds. But they kind of freak me out. I did save a baby bird that had somehow gotten out of it's nest and was in the middle of my street. Hubby and I were able to get it back into the tree near the nest without touching it. The mama bird waited for us to leave and then started singing at that baby -- she was very upset!! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY TWINS.... how cute!!! I love baby birds!!! I bet you can't guess my favorite bird??? If you bought one for your aviary I would FLY OUT TO SEE YOU FO SHO!!!! and have fun with your college girl!!!
    I know you miss her <3
    and have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a blue orchid like that! It is gorgeous. I also really like the visulization activity. I need to check out that book. Congrats on the twins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll have to find it. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend.

    Jennifer
    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your posts Tara--your lessons are always so fabulous! I thought this one was just wonderful...thanks so much for sharing. Sorry I've been behind in commenting on your blog, I don't want you to think I'm a bad bloggy friend. This year has just been wild--and now it's flying by all of a sudden!

    I hope you have a great time with your daughter this weekend :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this visualizing lesson with us! I look forward to learning more from reading your blog. And congrats on the baby birds! I bet your students will flip when you show them pics. :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Check our the Beach Brains Blog at http://mrbsbeachbrains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Orchid is beautiful! What a wonderful hubby you have!
    Your visualizing activity looks awesome! What a great way to incorporate arts and get the kids engaged in a hands on activity.

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top