Lit. Circles...Up and Rollin!

Warning.....long post ahead:)


Ok, since I posted about my first literature circle set in TPT and TN, I have had a few questions about Lit. Circles and how I do them.  Let me start this by saying.......

a - I don't know if there is a right way or a wrong way....
b - I think you need to make it work for you and your kiddos.....
c - This is just how I do them...I'm sure there are tons of other ways....

Since this is my first year of doing Daily 5, I wanted to try to keep that "routine".  (I also don't do Daily 5 the "traditional" way.  Before I started Daily 5 and was panicking about changing my routine.....cuz I don't deal well with change, I emailed lots of bloggy buds and they all said "Make it work for you".) So, here is how I set it up...

First, I have been buying sets of books for a while with scholastic points..yummy!  Love those points!!! We spent an afternoon going through the books and believe it or not, I let the kids pick their books and groups.  I have 4 different chapter books going right now with the 4 different groups.

Then I gave them each a journal, introduced each of the jobs and showed them the posters to refer to if they forget what they are to do.

Each team gets a bucket with all the jobs cards.  Before they read, they each choose a job.  They also have to do each job once before they can repeat.

Job Posters. (bad  pic, sorry)

I then set up our version of Daily 5 to incorporate the Lit. Circles...
Each group chose a bug name.....don't know why, but as you can see there are 4 groups.  Here are the rotations:

Meet with Teacher:  Here the group comes to me with their journal for group book talk.  Each child shares what their job was (from the previous day) and what they wrote for it.  Then as a group we score their journal entry.  We go around until everyone has shared (Each student has a different job and can't repeat a job until they have done all 7)  Really fun and I love how excited they are to share!  It's kinda like coffee talk without the coffee........well, I have coffee:)  teehee!  They talk:)



Read to Someone:  This is when they meet and read their chapter books.  They usually take turns, a person reads a page at a time.


Work on Writing:  This is when they do their journal jobs on their own.  Before they start reading with their group, they each draw a job card so they know as they are reading what their job is.



Word Work:  Usually not Lit. Circle related.  What ever word or vocab activity I have planned for the day.   Today they did Earth Day Tagxedo projects:) (I'll post about that later when they are done)

Sorry this was soooooo long and hope it is helpful to some:)  Have a great evening all.  

11 comments

  1. I love your method of doing literature circles. Yes, you are so right, we need to find what works for us.
    I love your rotation board. LOVE!!!

    I'd love to see more of that journal, too. I love making them "accountable" for something and this journal looks great.

    Love the 3AM graphics...I've got that set, too!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting inspired about next year! genius boy will be a fourth grader...YOU SHOULD MOVE TO SAN ANTONIO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, duh...the journal is within the unit on TPT and TN.

    Love it.

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers:) I guess I should have linked it within my post but just thought if people were interested then they would ask. Both the pudgy set and the Tweeter set have journals:)

      Delete
  4. This was so, so helpful Tara--thank you!! I love how you incorporated everything into your daily 5, what a smart idea. Thank you, I just adore you and your blog!!
    PS Congrats on TBA, as you can see I'm catching up :) :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara, this is SO wonderful! I'm so glad you shared. It's nice to see that there really isn't a "right" want to implement these activities. I just love it!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tagxedo site. Can't wait to see what your students have created!

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love how this works! I think this is something that I could try in my class, thanks for sharing!
    Julie
    Light A Fire in Third

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous post friend! I love how you tied in the lit circles with the daily 5!!! Def. something to keep in mind for next year :)
    I love your job cards & posters!!! Too cute!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first year teaching 3rd grade. Ive always taught lower grades. I'm really interested in doing literature circles this year. This gave me insight to how to do things. Im so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have copies of the job posters and booklet the kids fill out. Do you have those somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top