Science and Skype - Fun Day!!!

Well, not really Skype....we have to use Safari but it's like Skype....so anyway, I am just so excited because ..

because......

because......are ya ready???

Well, we.....my class and I, had a video chat today with my friend Molly from Lessons with Laughter and her 4th grade class.

Lessons with Laughter

So super fun!!!  We're talking Florida to California people.  It was like they were right next door.  A few of her students read their Pourquoi Tales and they were awesome!!  My class is going to start writing some of their own tomorrow:)  Can't wait!!   We are also going to be video chatting again tomorrow:)
Thanks Molly!!!  Too FUN!!!

Now for the Science portion...I  wanted to share some Science/non-fiction report like thingies we did.......how's that for a wonderful name of a project????

It was probably named that because it was a last minute idea (sometimes.....rarely.....but sometimes I do work well under pressure.  Gotta love it when the last minute ideas come out great!) when my classroom had to be super quiet for 5th grade testing.  I needed a project, it covered Science and Reading (2 subjects in one...love that), it was kind of a report/foldable.......hence the name thingy!!!  There!



Anywho, we did a smaller version of this when they used the Fun Facts with the Lorax (free at my Teachers Notebook store).  Each kiddo had to get a magazine (Nat. Geo, Zoobooks, Discovery Kids).  Then choose an article and read it.  After they were done they had to make their thingy......just kidding, their report!  They had to design a cover that included the title of the article they read.  Then on the inside of their report they had to include:
1 picture
1 caption
5 facts
A summary


Finally, I wanted to share some more exciting news.....my post Boggle Board = Word Work Fun earned me a nomination for most fascinating blog:)  I am too excited and have some wonderful company in this area as a lot of my bloggy buds have gotten this nomination too!  Congrats to all of them:)  Thank you all for reading.  I may be asking for some votes soon;)

Accelerated Degree Programs

7 comments

  1. Congrats Tara!! I will be happy to vote as soon as it's time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the non-fiction thingy! ;) I'm going to have to try that with my 4th graders! I also teach in Florida, not too far from you actually! Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the nomination! I also like the idea for the foldable. I've always found magazines to be a fun way to build literacy.

    -Charmaine, Community Advocate at QuickSchools

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last minute ideas are the best!!! Most of my creative ideas came this way. Video chatting?!? SOOOOOOO much fun! I was looking for a class to do it with this year and didn't find anyone. I do have a webcam & skype in my room and hope we can do it next year. Jen Runde & I are planning to pen pal next year.

    Congrats on the nomination my friend! Well deserved!
    Hope you had a great week!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOOOVVEEEDDD our video chats!!! Your kids were so sweet and mine loved sharing their pourquoi tales!! They want to hear some of the ones your kids come up with when they are done!!! And literally when the camera came on today, one of my students said, "Mrs. Maloy, I like her classroom!" Then their imaginations went wild and they were talking about how fun it would be to take a trip to Florida to meet you guys and everything!! Too cute!! So glad we got to do that! We should make it a yearly tradition!! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your ideas. I did the Lorax unit and it was a HIT! In fact, someone told me to use it for the Science Fair. We are doing a magazine unit in In2Books.com the next two weeks and your "thingy" is perfect for this! One question, is your link for Boggle supposed to go to your store for the Lorax? I'm interested in the Word Work stuff.
    Susan at RodriguezRockStars.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top