Can't Wait for Daily 5/Cafe Upper Grade Book Study

I am so excited about the upper elementary Daily 5 and Cafe book study starting in July.  They have a blog set up just for the book study:
We Read, We Blog, We Teach
I have my highlighted/written in/post it noted (I know that's not correct grammar....) books all ready for round 2.  It was about this time last year that I started blogging and started reading about Daily 5 and Cafe.

Well folks, it changed my life!!  (along with The Book Whisperer)  I read all 3 books in record time and decided I was going to flip my world upside down to incorporate all of this into my classroom.  (side note, for those of you who don't know me.....um how do I say this?????????????????????????????????????????

me + change = not very pretty!!!

I'll do it, don't get me wrong BUT sometimes it's not pretty getting there.  So, if there is anyone out there who hasn't tried Daily 5, you must!!!  If I can flip my world allllllllll around and change everything, then you can to:)

Let me tell you, you will be glad you did!  What an amazing year I had and I truly believe it is because of Daily 5 (and Book Whisperer).  So I am so excited about the upcoming book study.  One thing I felt was tough for me was finding/coming up with the activities for word work for the older kids.  There are tons of things out there for the littles but for the older kids, not as much.  I can't wait to learn and learn some more things about using the Daily 5 and CAFE in my classroom.

If you are curious about how my journey with Daily 5 started and how it went throughout the year, you can check out the tab at the top of my blog called "Daily 5 in Our Room".  That is my thumbnail gallery with all the links to my Daily 5 activities and discussions.

I'm also really excited about CAFE.  I have to admit (and think I've said this some in my posts) that last year, since it was my first year with Daily 5, I didn't do CAFE the traditional way.  I taught all the lessons but didn't do the conferences as they state in the book.  Another word of wisdom for those of you just starting......you have to make it work for you and your class.  I am so glad so many people told me that in the beginning because OCD me thinks everything has to be perfectly like it was stated in the book.  Nope:)  Make it work for you:)  I'm anxious to dive deeper into the CAFE part this year.  So anxious, I made some new signs to go with my classroom colors and the new color (gray) I am adding:)  Here's how they turned out:

My additional decor:
Thinking about possibly making several color sets of the CAFE signs and possibly putting them in my stores, if there is an interest.......anyone???  

I'm also soooooooo jazzed about my Monday Made It!!!!!
If you linked up.....THANK YOU!!!  If you haven't linked up yet, there is still time, click the button OR you can save it and link up Monday:)  I will be hosting this every Monday throughout the summer:D  I have added so many ideas to my wish/to do list!!

That will call for lots of time and coffee!!!!



19 comments

  1. Wow! Those signs look terrific. If I weren't only teaching math next year, I'd totally want them. Yes, you should sell them on TPT!
    And you know they'd totally match my room. Too bad :(

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your signs! They are so cute!! Yes, sell them! They are too cute not to!

    Haley
    Following Optimism in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your CAFE signs! They are adorable!! Please put them in your store:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried the Daily 5 or Cafe, but have read some about it. I am very interested to learn more. I teach third grade so I am looking forward to reading how you use it with your 4th graders. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the book study either! :) I'm hoping it will be the nudge I need to start the Daily Five, I've had the book for four years! :)
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the book study! When in July does it start? I am starting CAFE and Daily 5 this coming school year. I am reading the books now and am loving it so far! Any suggestions or recommendations are welcomed and appreciated! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. CAn you give me a quick version of what the daily 5 is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for the book study too! I read The Book Whisperer last year, but I plan on re-reading it along with the Daily 5 and CAFE books this summer. :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new signs....so cute! I started Daily 5 last year as well in my 4th grade classroom. I just couldn't get the Cafe thing going either. We departmentalize, so I teach Language Arts to all three sections of 4th grade and usually only have an hour.....I just couldn't envision a way I could conference with 75 kiddo's in a week. The journal grading is a killer! I am reading The Book Whisperer right now and I LOVE IT!!! I'm still on the fence about the Cafe for the upcoming year. Do you think I could join the book study without the books? I have read them, and own them, but they are packed in a box in storage while our school is being renovated over the summer. I checked our local library and they don't have them. I may just follow along, take notes and reference the books over the school year. Thanks for all you great Daily 5 ideas....I used your scrabble this past year and my kiddo's loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started reading your blog last fall, and I emailed you a few times about Daily 5...I started CAFE, but really had a hard time with our Houghton MIfflin series and CAFE/Daily 5...so I had to tweak it as well. I would love to know how teachers whose districts require them to use the boring basal make it work! I have a few ideas for next year, like not re-reading the same story all week. I also want to read the Book Whisperer- it sounds so good! I teach third grade-i will probably be able to utilize some of the ideas from the intermediate book study.
    I love your CAFE signs and would love them in the DOts on Chocolate colors! I was so tempted to redo my whole classroom when I saw your new goodies! My family and friends talked me down, since i did a complete redo last year with Dots on Chocolate with owls and ice cream cones. Thank you for the continuing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the books back in the winter and hope to use it this fall. I am still working on how to use it with Scott Foresman series. I love the Cafe signs and would like to see it with maybe blue, green and hints of yellow. That may be the colors I use in my class this year that will go along with our garden theme.

    Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any ideas on how to use the Common Core Standards with the Daily 5 and CAFE?

    ReplyDelete
  13. CAFE book arrived in the mail today! I have not yet read it but am so excited about the upcoming book study. I have read Daily 5 and come into some contact with it as a student teacher. I want to dig deeper though. It was on my list of things to do this summer so this is perfect!!!

    I am interested in learning more about the alternative CRAFT that was designed for older grades. I think it would fit better into my class and my schedule for my students. So far, I have a daily 5 type thing going on for math, reading, writing, and science. =)

    I would love to see your signs done in black, white, and red! That would be one less thing that I need to create for my classroom.

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just thinking...that Comprehension Connections book by Tanny McGregor ( I think that is the title and author) is another really good one too that I used ideas from last year when I started Daily 5.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The signs you made are SOOOOOOOOOOO stinkin cute!!!! Where did you get the background pages?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your signs!! I would definitely love them in different colors/designs too!! If your taking suggestions....i have dots on chocolate in my class now, so that would be great..or maybe just teal/pink/blue pastels minus the chocolate!! thanks!
    bl3982@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes please post the signs on TPT and also your TOT binder and math packs please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would also love the signs to match dots on chocolate and to go with daily 5!!!'mm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there. I know this is a bit outdated, but I was just wondering if it would be possible to use these CAFE menus? I am a brand new teacher setting up my first classroom, and they are EXACTLY what I was looking for to fit my theme. Please contact me if possible!!
    kendrajewer@live.ca

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top