Do You Use Kidblog?? You Should:)

Hello everyone!  Happy Thursday and can someone please slow this summer down?!

 I am enjoying my relaxing and projecting and crafting, but WOW.....June is almost over which means I only have July left and thanks to all my wonderful friends in bloggy land joining my Monday Made It I am not going to have nearly enough time to get it all done!!!!

Seriously, thank you all for making this linky so fun!!!  I already can't wait until Monday:)))  Also, you don't have to join on Monday....you can join anytime during the week.  Each linky is open for a week and then I start the new one:)))  I still have to get my projects done for Monday!!!  EEEK:)

Ok, I wanted to chat today about KIDBLOG.org  Have ya heard of it???  Do you use it????
Well, I hadn't until about the last few months of school....then one of my friends/coworkers put a little blurb about it on our school email.  I clicked on it ever so briefly.  Just briefly though.......here's why......follow my lovely little mind if you can...................I don't have time to do this.............I have a million end of the year assessments.............we have projects to finish.......it's something new...........did I say assessments...........
the list goes on and I've shared in the past that I am a stinker when it come to change.  (welcome to inside my head!!!!  Sometimes, not a pretty place!!)  Even if the change is awesome, I need time to process......(I have issues, I know)

THEN my friend asked if I had checked it out and set up my class, she had and her kids loved it.  I told her "No", for the reasons above and she said "Oh it only takes a second".  Well, thanks Ash for the push!!!!!

People, it does only take seconds and my kiddos LOVED it.  I introduced it to them and just started with a blog post for them to comment on.  It's a wonderful tool to use during and after read alouds.  We used it right after I finished reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.  They all shared what they liked or didn't like about the book.  They loved reading each other's comments and I feel learned from each other too.  I stuck this right into our Daily 5 routine.  We didn't do it everyday, just every once in a while.  When we used it, I plugged it into the Work on Writing segment of Daily 5.

Another way I used it was with literature circle responses.  Again, they commented on a post I made about how they liked literature circles, tell me about what they were reading  and if they could change anything about literature circles, what would it be?  (a really neat sidebar here.....I had several comment that the only thing they would change would be to make it last longer.  WHAT?!!!!  AWESOME!!!!  Thanks Book Whisperer!!!  If you haven't read this book, you MUST)


Finally I taught them how they could do their own blog posts on there.  There are SO many ways to utilize this in the classroom!!  Also, the teacher has total control of what is posted.  Every comment has to be approved.  I told my kiddos this and they took it very seriously and their comments are responses were very thoughtful:)  It's wonderful!  So give it a look.

Once last neat thing about using this.......I have been able to stay in touch with my kiddos this summer and their reading.  I told them I would be posting over the summer and would love for them to check in.  Well, 3 of them have!  I know, I know.....only 3?  Hey, 3 is better than none:))  It's neat!  First they checked in to tell me what they are reading.  2 of them started their own blog posts asking their classmates for book recommendations for the summer:)  I love it!!  Go give it a looksy:)  If you already use it, I would love to hear other ways to incorporate it in my classroom:))

27 comments

  1. Yay - just sent this along to participants from my "Blogs are a teacher's best friend" workshop this week - perfect timing! Joshua blogged this year in 7th (using Gaggle) in his LA class and really enjoyed responding to the teacher's prompts and reading what his friends had to say. Thanks for scouting out this resource!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part of your post where we got to peek into your mind CRACKED ME UP!!!! That is soooo how the end of the year is. Thanks for sharing about this. I'm pinning your post right now so that I'll remember to pass it on to some of my intermediate friends. BTW no more excuses, I'm joining your party on Monday : )
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you posted about this one.....I have definite plans to start a classroom blog this year and I had heard from a few other colleagues that this was the route to go. I will definitely be using it during Work on Writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to rush up to school on Monday just to see if this beauty is blocked (so many things are in mt district) because I gave so many ideas!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Book Whisperer!!! It opened my eyes to many new things and validated some of the things I was already doing. Kidblog is one of my favorite tech tools to use with my kiddos.

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I know exactly how you felt at the end of the year. I also HATE change until I process it. I set my class blog up, changed the background, and it is ready for school to start. My mind is racing on all the ways that I use it.

    I have one off the subject question about Daily 5. I have the books and have just about finished them. The part I have yet to figure out how to do is work it in with our Scott Foresman series that we are to use completely. Do you have a textbook that you use with it and if so can you give me advice on how to use it?
    Thanks enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen this before, but wondered how I could use it with my kinder kiddos. I'm now thinking of getting some buddies and maybe once a week or once a month pull them in for activities and then let our older buddies help the youngers blog about it or comment on questions. Brilliant! Thanks Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted this. I'm interested in setting up a class blog but I don't know when, where, or how. You answered some of my questions so now I'm off to Google for the rest of the answers. Thanks!

    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love KidBlog! I used it a lot last year while I was on maternity leave to keep in touch with my class. They had to write book reviews on it and comment on each other's book reviews. It was incredibly motivating for most of them, and it helped us practice summarizing skills. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun using it next year, too. It's such a great and easy-to-use resource.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Alison
    Kidblog post @ Eberopolis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara...I am actually using this right now with my summer school class, Geek Squad. I have students in grades 2 through 7 and they are having a great time with this! They are using it to "find their feet" technology-wise and as a way to collect all the work they have done the last two weeks on Presi, Xtranormal, and Glogster (our favorite!). Since you can link into this, it provides a great doorway/online portfolio if you will, for all the great things we have done! Love this and your friend is right...two minutes is all it takes to get a class set up! If you aren't blogging with your kids, then you are missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Kid Blog! It is so easy to use and mirrors so many things in Microsoft Word that my kids were easily able to transfer their learning to other programs. We go to the computer lab once a week and I'm in the process this summer of writing all my lesson plans for computer lab, all centered around Kid Blog. I'm so excited. I also love that you can create a guest account for parents, so that parents can log in and comment. Have you tried this yet? I don't have very involved parents, but I'm hoping with each child having their own blog more parents will log-in and check things out. Love your idea about continuing through summer. I'm making a mental note of that. Enjoy some more lazy days. Summer is going way too fast!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief
    Fiction Friday: A Celebration of Children’s Literature

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post. This is one of the resources I was looking into to integrate more technology into my 4th and 5th grade Language Arts classes. This helped answer some questions and provide some other ideas of how to use the site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Kidblog with my kinders. I love it and so do they.

    april
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE KidBlog! I've been using it for two years now, and my kids really love blogging. I started exactly the same way you did, by writing a post and having my kids reply. We gradually worked up to creating their own posts, writing comments, adding links to GDocs the'd made, and finally inserting HTML code (for sharing Vokis, etc...)

    I actually made some videos for getting started with it. Here's a link to one of them:
    ThinkShareTeach

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never even heard of Kid Blog! Thanks for letting us know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tara- I LOVE this post! I mentioned it on Technology Tailgate. One of my goals this year has been student blogging. I really think kidblog.org is the way to do it! Thanks so much for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so want to have my students blog next year! I hope I can find a way to fit it in. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just signed up! Can't wait to use it this year with my kiddos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing Tara. This is exactly what I've been looking for to utilize during reading centers. My 4th graders will love it!

    Fourth Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Kidblog.org. I have used it the past 2 year with my 4th and then 6th graders. I use it to differentiate my teaching. I set up different blogs with small groups of students to ask questions to work with them on what they need. For example, I may ask one group an inference question, another group a context clue question, and a third group a character analysis question. Glad to see some others enjoy it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do know about Kidblogs, and I really want to use it once I get my own classroom! Of course, as a blogger, I want to pass on my love of blogging... because when kids are blogging, what they are really doing is WRITING! And when they read their friends' blogs, they are READING! Even if my kids are unable to write independently, I could have them draw pictures and then scan it for them, and they could dictate stories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing! I have given you the One Lovely Blog award. Check out my blog to collect it!

    ✰Becca
    Fun 4th Resources

    ReplyDelete
  23. How fun!! I bet my kids would love this. I'm off to check it out :)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this idea!! I love to use technology with my students and using it for a read aloud or literature circles it great! Thanks!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing about Kid Blog. I've never heard of it, and I'm hoping the school filters will let me use it next year with my class. I can hope, right? =)

    Emily
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to try Kidblog with my fourth graders this year. I'm moving from first to fourth and have only used Today's Meet for online chatting. I'm excited because there's so much more you can do with the older ones! I love your idea of using Kidblog for lit circles. Thanks:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top