B.O.Y. Writing Activity and Letters Answer

Hey all!  Another week gone!  Time is really flying by!  I wanted to share a beginning of the year writing activity we did.  Before I tell ya about it I have to say.........I am pretty sure I saw this on Pinterest somewhere but can't find where to give the original idea credit.....IF this was originally your idea, please pop me an email so I can change my post to credit you:)

Ok, so I asked the kiddos to draw a big pair of sunglasses.  In the lenses of the sunglasses I asked them to draw pics of what they did over the summer.  Then they had to write about it and after that they could color them.  They turned our pretty neat and it was a fun way to learn a little more about each other.




I love how different and unique each of the sunglasses are and some of the pics just crack me up:)  They all have stories under them, I just wanted you to see some of the glasses.

I also wanted to answer a question I have been asked a lot......  
Where did I get the "homework" letters?
I got them from Teacher Heaven.  Click on the pic and it will take you right to the link.  I also got several borders from there as well.  The set I got is called Circle Frenzy:)

I also added a border (that I got from there too) to my daily schedule:)
Finally, thanks to The Book Whisperer, year #2, we are off to a wonderful start with what we are reading:)
Although I do have a small class, they all haven't started their cards yet........BUT some of them already have 8 and 9 books!!!  They are loving reading and I'm loving it!!!

Have a happy weekend everyone!  Be blessed and safe!  My girl is coming home for some momma/daughter shopping!!!!

See ya back here for September's Made It Monday!!

10 comments

  1. Such a cute writing assignment. I like how you made them draw the sunglasses instead of having them premade. Such a good, authentically kid touch.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read "The Book Whisperer" too and LOVED it! We must be on a similar wavelength because I just did a post about the books we will read the first few days and we have a book and writing prompt based on summer vacation activities as well.

    I just saw a similar "What We're Reading" board on "Teaching in Room 6" and was wondering if you have the kids record both independent books and books you have read as a group or just independent books. I'm going back and forth!

    Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those shades! They did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sunglasses writing project! It really shows off the unique personalities in your class.
    The letters are awesome!

    Heather
    Peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your sunglass writing activity- will use that next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love me some Teacher Heaven!! Sometimes I wish I taught older grades so we could go further in writing! LOVE your sunglasses activity!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the writings and the sunglasses!! I bet the students enjoyed it too.

    APril
    Wolfelicious
    Join my Giveaway http://wolfelicious.blogspot.com/2012/08/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh what a cool idea!! I am FINALLY starting to catch up after a long week...had to stop by your blog right away :)

    I hope you have a blast shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always leave with a great idea when I leave here:)
    Staci

    Going Nutty!

    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sunglasses. I may have to "borrow" that idea! I can imagine how fun the pictures will turn out. I am hearing great things about "The Book Whisperer". I am going to have to add that to my reading list. Have a great week next week.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top