Daily 5 Launch, WORMS and a Freebie!

Where does all the time in a day go??????  This week has knocked me out/down!!  I'm hoping it's just the beginning of the year stuff, but I can't seem to find the time to get half of what I want done, done!!  Yikes!

After 3 days with my new class, I am in love!  What a super sweet group I have!  Too excited about what this school year will bring!

A huge thank you to Lorraine from Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies for the adorable, fantastic Save Fred group activity!  We started our day yesterday with me saying "Students, today you are going to save a life!"  Well let me tell ya........I had them all day, dying to know what and when and where.................

After we did our 3 ways to read a book mini lesson......
(my anchor charts aren't nearly as cute as most, but I try...)

 they went back to their seats, which are in groups, and we saved Fred.  (read Lorraine's post for the details).  Each group got a Fred, a capsized boat, a life preserver, and one paper clip for each kiddo.  They had to get the life preserver onto Fred, right the boat, and put him in.......easy right????  Nope, they could only use the paper clips to touch things!  Brilliant team building activity!  Here are some pics of our fun!!!
What a scream!  So neat to listen and watch and see how their minds work and how they work as a team:)  Too fun!  Thanks Lorraine!

This week we had our " I Pick" mini lesson and our very first book frenzy!  The kids love their book luggage and had fun filling it!


Today we launched Read to Self.  We made our anchor chart and modeled the right way and the wrong way....then we practiced!  The kids did great!  Some of my kiddos had Daily 5 with a few teachers last year so that made things a little easier:)
All this along with procedures, procedures, procedures......:)  Can't start a school year without that:)

Now......since I am feeling OH SO GUILTY because I haven't had time to read blogs, comment on blogs, respond to emails......the list goes on......I have a freebie for you!  It is my Getting to Know You packet.  This packet has some checklists, fun getting to know you activities, and a Student Interest Survey based on some examples from The Book Whisperer.  Hope it's something you can use:) 
I have had several questions about how I do my Daily 5.....I am hoping things slow down enough that I can post about it this weekend as well as more pics of my classroom!   Thanks for your patience and enjoy your freebie:))

14 comments

  1. Thanks...

    I start with students on Monday!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the Save Fred activity as well. Kids LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that your students and first days back at school are going great! Thanks for the freebie! I'm getting nervous with changing grades and rooms! I will finally be able to get into my new room next Friday!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the freebie! Just found your blog - I teach fourth grade too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that your school year is off to a great start!! Thanks for sharing your back to school ideas with us! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your anchor charts! They look great to me! I'm going to have to check out this Fred activity it looks too fun to pass up! I'm excited your a week before me in school so I can see all the awesome D5 things you do in your room before I do them in mine! Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone about your first week!

    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that your first days of school have been awesome! I don't "officially" go back until the 20th, and the kids until the 27th, but I can't wait :D

    http://bilingualscrapbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your ideas, pics and freebie. The kiddos come back next week and I cant WAIT to start Daily 5. It will be my first year but thanks to all the bloggy book studies I feel ready for action.
    Amanda
    http://rockstarsatwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear that you love your group. Have a great day tomorrow and then enjoy the weekend!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you tried the Save Fred activity and that you and your students liked it! It's so fun! I am going to try Daily 5 this year so I can't wait to read your posts about it!
    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the freebie! Fred is a fun activity...used it for Science a few years ago.Sounds
    like you are having a great first week of school......hopefully we will all be in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking forward to trying the Fred activity myself. Thank you for the freebie and many thanks for sharing about your first week at school. I return the 21st and the kiddos the 28th! Enjoy the weekend, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to try this Save Fred activity. It sounds like so much fun and I love the hook that you used. I may have to steal that too. Thanks for the awesome freebie. My back to school files are growing and growing with great ideas.

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't know if you will see this comment... But do you have an enlarged picture of what your posters say about too easy/just right/too hard books? Just wondering! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top