Numeracy Rich and Week #2!!

2 summers ago I was introduced to the world of blogging and as I was reading and stalking along, read about Daily 5 and The Book Whisperer.  I joined the blog book studies and read and planned and planned and read and became very nervous because these books were going to change EVERYTHING about my reading block as well as my mornings.  Last August, I dove in head first and haven't looked back!

I am happy to say this is week #2 of year #2 of Daily 5 and I couldn't be happier!!  The kiddos are building their stamina like crazy.  We are at 13 minutes for both Read to Self and Work on Writing (remember, I don't do it exactly like the book so I teach in a different order too)  Monday I am going to start working with small groups as they rotate through Read to Self and Work on Writing (and me).

Also, this is my second year of starting my days in complete bliss because the kiddos are quietly reading curled up in a corner or at their desks.......thank you Book Whisperer.  No more busy work, bell ringers, do nows.......what ever you call them.  The kids come in, unpack, get their book luggage and read until the bell rings and it is bliss!!!  Now I'll admit when I first read about this I kind of thought.....um, yeah, that won't work.  Well I am here to tell ya IT DOES!  It is so much more relaxing and peaceful and the kids LOVE reading first thing in the morning.  It really sets the tone for a wonderful day!!!  No more morning papers to grade and kids coming in late and being upset because they didn't have time to finish the morning work...........

This past summer I read Guided Math.  One of the things I read, kind of reached out and smacked me in the face.  That was that usually when you walk into any classroom, you can see they are literacy rich but not numeracy rich.  That was a WOW moment for me and I have been trying very hard to be conscious of that in my classroom.  It's far from perfect but it's definitely more numeracy rich this year than last year:))   It's a start:)
Here's my finished Math It Up board:)  LOVE!!!
Got it HERE (Teacher on the Loose)
My Math Workshop rotation board and yummy Math pennants from Fun in Room 4B.  That is in full swing this week.  I still am getting used to the whole thing or small groups for Math.  Great idea.....I am just afraid I won't get it all in. (you can see the starts of my Math word wall on the side)
This little baby I am too excited about.  After our blissful, quiet morning start of kids reading before the bell, we do this.  As soon as announcements are over, they grab their dry erase boards and markers and gather on our carpet to do this......Morning Math Meeting.  Each morning I have a number written down and they do the rest on their boards and then we go over it together quickly.  I will be adding to this as the year goes on.  The idea for this came from Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6 and her calendar math.  Loved that idea:)  Then we are right into Math workshop.

Here are some after pics of my kiddos name posters from Monday Made It!  I love them:)

Hope ya all had a great week!  Have a super weekend!  I'm off to see my girl:)




28 comments

  1. Those names turned out so cute...great idea!!

    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your maths work and how it is looking in your room! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are at 13 minutes as well for read to self, and just started work on writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your math workshop rotation board. I started math workshop last school year and loved it. It really made differentiating a whole lot easier!

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  5. TARA!!! Wow, can't believe you are already done with week 2!!! Yay for reading and guided math!!! I just sat down to do some yearly planning and to plan out my first week of school, and let me just say, I was wishing that I had you to talk me through some of it!! Especially the guided math stuff!! I need your advice on starting it up and everything!!! Maybe we can talk this weekend??? So happy that everything is going well, and your kiddos' names look great!!! Have an amazing weekend with your girly!!!!

    Molly :)
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your name posters. Too cute! And your Math Add it Up turned out great!
    Tracey
    Third Grade All Stars

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your first paragraph. The way I have been teaching is completely transformed because of blogging, too. Seriously. I am loving how you are making your room so numeracy rich. It looks so good. Why can't we live next door to each other? It totally bums me out.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where you were last summer sounds just like where I am this summer! The blogging world has totally transformed me and there has not been a day this summer that I haven't been getting new ideas! Your blog is so inspirational and I cannot wait to start my version of D5 with my fourth graders when we start in a couple weeks. I will slowly work on reading guided math too but am overwhelmed with D5 now:) Thank you for all that you share!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name posters! They are so bright and colorful!


    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Building stamina is one of my favorite times of the year.

    I love your math boards! I think I'm gonna copy :)

    Heather
    Peacocks & Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please explain your Math it Up board. How do your students use it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that your room is numeracy rich. Our district wide Math coach said she could tell we used to be a Reading First school because we rarely show Math in the hallways. Gotta work on that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Tara, I am impressed!! You and I are sharing a brain because I JUST posted my math calendar board that I am kind of in love with...a little (read: a lot). :)

    I am going to do math workshop too and I'm all about the numeracy! I can't wait to get into my classroom this week again because I got my literacy stuff ready to go but now it's time to focus on the MATH stuff. I want people to know and understand that I teach ALL subjects in my classroom but math and literacy will likely take precedence. I think I am going to use my hallway area to showcase science and social studies once our standardized testing is over in October :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post! I can't wait to use some more practices from The Book Whisperer this year. Your room looks great, by the way! I have a random question-- did you get your book luggage baskets recently? If so, where did you get them? I bought the same baskets a few years ago and need ONE more to match my set this year :) I'm dying to find another and wondered if they are still selling them somewhere??

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how the names turned out! What font is that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Glad your year is off to a great start. Quick question or two. 1. Do you have to follow a reading textbook series? If so how do you make it all work? 2. How about a math series. Our district just ordered GoMath for us. Just wondering how you make it all work? You room looks great. Hope to showcase mine on your Monday Made It. Our first day with kids is Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks WONDERFUL, Tara!! I am so glad everything is going well for you!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks soooo great!!!!! I really like those names, and I am certainly with you on not freehanding them- that is one reason I am not an art teacher. May I ask which font/word art/size you used? We get students beginning Wednesday, and I would love to do this with my students!
    Please and thank you!
    Shar W
    jandcangelscents@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been stocking your board all summer long. I am where you were two summers ago...lovin' the blogging world. I haven't yet started one but have come up with a name. I just need to figure out how to get started and make it look pretty.

    Love the names. Please share what font you used.

    I am moving from 2nd to 4th grade literacy so I will been stocking your board for more ideas! Thanks agasin

    ReplyDelete
  20. stocking...yep...that's me...filling up your board with stuff.

    Oh...my summer brain...I've been stalking your site!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I`m wondering if you are going to be selling your cute Daily Number signs on your tpt store. I love the idea of doing it on white boards rather than making copies and would love to steal your fantastic signs!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want a close up of your math station rotation board. What are your groups? Am trying math groups, but very unsuccessfully. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the name posters! Is there a template for the names?? Moving to fourth and trying to gather as many fabulous ideas as possible! Love your Blog! mmurray@conejousd.org Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your math workshop!! Where did you get everything to set that up? I have a goal to have math centers going by second quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots of people have already asked, but I would love to know the name of the font you used for the names. I am making name poster for a carnival we are having and would like to have the children color their names for their goodie bags. jniathome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I get the chevron number of the day tabs?

    doniellemattis@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top