Sea Turtle Stuff/Project/Research/Fun

I think that title about covers it.....In my last post I gave a little sneak preview of a little project we have been up to in my classroom.  I showed you this pic:
The ping pong balls were "the eggs" of sea turtles.  Each student  had a nest and after a little over a week, we had the eggs "hatch" and they learned about how many eggs make it to a live hatch (not very many out of 100.....sad, but a good lesson).  Don't even ask how many times the "eggs" got spilled or knocked over in the classroom.....it was time for them to HATCH!

(Warning............lots of pics ahead)

One of our stories is about endangered sea turtles.  Each year I have the kiddos do a little research project.  There were 5 different species of sea turtles in the story so I put little papers with the names in a bucket and the kids each drew one to research.  Each project has to include: facts, nesting, and threats to the sea turtles. 
This year I decided to also have them make a little sea turtle.  I let them each pic a rock to be used as the shell of the turtle. They had lots of fun with this and were very creative!  

Today we got to hook up with a 3rd grade class (THANK ASH!!) and my kids did little presentations about their specific species of turtle.  The 3rd graders used a rubric to grade my kiddos and then they got to take a little tour of all the different turtles my students made.












I think they did a great job and had fun learning:D

Now I'm off to bed....lol!  Seriously, I'm off to figure out what I'm doing for Monday Made It!  The monthly edition is right around the corner..........can't wait to see what everyone has made!  Hope you have some time to make a little something to link up:)

14 comments

  1. I love your turtles, and definitely like your research idea. Trying to think how I could use this with my curriculum. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the research was presented on index cards then as a flip book....LOVE it. I will definitely be using that concept for small research projects with my 5th graders. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm pinning this right now:) I can't wait till Monday Made It!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out great, Tara. I know you are glad that the turtles have hatched so that you don't have to watch eggs flying all day anymore :) (almost said something else and changed it to eggs so that sentence wouldn't sound weird and cause you any spam comments...get it??)
    Have a great Friday and a fantastic weekend!
    Talk soon,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a similar story in our text....I just may have to steal this wonderful idea :) Thanks for the Monday Made it reminder....how in the heck is almost October first???? I've been out of action when it comes to blogging. Just can't seem to get catch my breathe....fingers crossed this is the weekend that it finally happens!

    Have a great weekend,
    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

    ReplyDelete
  6. The turtles are really cute! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome Tara!!! I adore those little turtles! I hope you're having a lovely weekend already :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I enjoyed reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your students sea turtles projects seem like a lot of fun! I am sure they enjoy it!

    Thanks again for your encouraging email! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like so much fun! What a great learning experience! Thanks for sharing. We have a story in our basal called " Turtle Bay". This activity would be great to use with the story. Have a great weekend!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your research idea and the final research product with the flip charts using index cards.

    Those little turtles are just way too cute...I know the kiddos had a fun time and learned lots!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done a sea turtle unit based on this Earthwatch/Scholastic unit. Your unit will be a great addition. Kids will enjoy the turtle art.
    http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/explorer/oceanlife/main.asp?template=field_sites

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Was just wondering what stories you read about turtles?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top