Spicing Up our Writing!!

Is it just me or is time flying by??????  Like November people.....really????
Hope I'm not alone there.........yikes:0)

Ok, on to writing.  I am working really hard to get my kiddos to spice up their writing.  They can write stories but most of them are bare bones.....we have been talking about STRONG VERBS, SENSORY WORDS, ADJECTIVES, and CREATIVITY SKILLS.  (not sure why I typed those all in caps.....I'm not shouting.....really.......)

Anywhosey....found an anchor chart on Pinterest that I loved with a lot of the same things I teach my kiddos so we made a similar one. (source)

After mini lessons about each one, I had my kiddos make foldables of their own during Word Work.  They enjoyed it a lot....now if I could just get them to remember to add it during their writing!!!

They got metaphors and idioms confused....some overlap....but at least it's a start.

Ok, I'm bushed......gotta run but before I go, look who came to visit yesterday.........



Are these adorable or what???? Our school is having a Fall Festival next week with a pumpkin character contest.  These came from one family:)  So super cute:))

BTW.........it's my buddy Elizabeth's (Fun in Room 4B) birthday today:))))
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIZABETH!!!!
Pop over to her blog and wish her a happy one!!!!!





10 comments

  1. I love the lesson idea thanks for sharing! Your class pumpkins are just too cute!!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the time going? November! Cute activity!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, Our 3rd graders do a "spicy word" (adjectives!) activity with our school lunch menu! As a class, we brainstorm a HUGE list of words that can be used to describe food in an appetizing way. Then, each student is given a day from our lunch menu. The students "spice up" the menu with their new adjectives. We teachers retype the menu and use that one in class instead of the now-boring one from the district. The students love it and can't wait for THEIR day of the menu!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great anchor chart/foldable!!! Definitely adding that to my lesson plans for sometime in the next 2 weeks! Only 2 weeks left for us until Thanksgiving break! Crazy!!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable pumpkins! I love your figurative language foldables. They turned out great!! Thank you for the birthday shout-out:) It was a great day and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first quarter just flew by! 2013 will be here in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pumpkins are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOHHH...those anchor charts are great! Getting the kids to have "spicy" writing is so tough...something we are still working on in 5th grade! I will definitely be trying this in my room.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top