Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Snow Day Success!

Today was snow day in our classroom.  
It has been planned for a while.  
 
Time to have fun and be kids.. 
 I am happy to say that we did just that today!  
This is gonna be a super long picture post, don't say I didn't warn you;)
This was the whole set up.  Snowman in a bag treats, hot cocoa, snow playdoh!
They LOVED this snowman in a bag treat!  

Found some super cute glittery snowflakes to decorate the table:)
The snow playdoh I made them all was a HUGE hit!!  So fun to see them playing with it!  
I actually used a different recipe this year AND white glitter instead of silver and I loved it so much more:)
You can find the recipe here:)
Another fun activity I added was Q-tip fraction snowflakes.
The kids were given q-tips and then could break them apart (easier and safer than cutting them....cutting them into pieces got a little nuts because pieces were literally flying everywhere!)  If you bend them a few times then twist, they break apart easily.  

Then they had to write 2 fractions.  One with how many pieces with the q-tips were used and then how many pieces without the cotton parts were used.  
Then they wrote poems:)  The poems were adorable and cracked me up!

Then we did our "My Snowman Came to Life.." narratives.  After they wrote their stories, they got to draw
their snowmen with chalk!  
Turned out super cute too!  They got hot cocoa while they were writing:)

Finally they made adorable ornaments (totally love this idea from Lisa at Fourth and Ten)
for their parents!  Thank the Lord my daughter was here to help today:)


So cute!  The snowmen are their fingers:)  Thanks Lisa for sharing such a cute idea:)

I am thankful to have some laughter and happiness in my classroom!  
As teachers, we are so blessed and have such wonderful opportunities to make a 
difference in a child's life.  Now more than ever, I am grateful for that!

19 comments:

  1. I love this!!! Going to do some last minute planning for Thursday!!! We are expecting our first snow--thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a great day (and an amazing post)! Your students are blessed to have you! Thanks for sharing how you pulled all of these ideas together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Too bad I have to wait until next school year to do these since we are already on winter break.:( BTW I love your blog ideas. New happy follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! What a SUPER fun day you had :) I love the fractions idea...fantastic! Thank you for sharing with us Tara. Definitely planning a snow day for when we return in January.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing so many wonderful ideas :) :)

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you had such a fun and happy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I'm going to plan a snow day for when we return from our Christmas break- maybe on the first day back which is a Friday!! Thanks for sharing!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your snow day! I think it's a perfect alternative to a Christmas party when you have students that don't celebrate Christmas! I have a question, for you, or anyone else who sees it and has an answer - How did you manage the hot chocolate? I was thinking about making hot chocolate for my class, but I can't figure out how to do it for such a large group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have this little "tea pot" that heats up in like 2 minutes...it's super fast! I don't let it heat all the way. So we were able to make about 6 cups at a time. Didn't take long:) Thanks or asking;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to go buy one today! I'm sure I'll find plenty of other uses for it too :)

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of having a "snow day" for the older kiddos. Will definitely have to keep this in mind for January!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many fun activities that I pinned for January. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ideas!! Did you add the glitter to the playdough AND how much does the recipe make? Did you need to double/triple it for your class? THANKS!! Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. I think I made 4 batches or my students...that covered 22 kids...they each got a ball a little bigger than a golf ball. Yes, I added the glitter after the dough cooled:)

      Delete
  12. Oh how I miss elementary some days... this just sounds like fun, fun, fun!
    Super cute q-tip idea!

    I am making those snowman treats for my son's first grade class.
    And totally stealing the snowman playdough for my boys over the break, gotta keep them busy for two weeks!

    Thanks
    Elizabeth

    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snow day...what a fun idea!! :) I love the fraction q-tip activity! We had hot chocolate yesterday while we watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! Fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea for a Fun Friday activity in January. Pinning it right now!

    ReplyDelete