Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cause - Effect Part 1

 
This week I went back to school after a wonderful 2 weeks of relaxing, reading, family time, shopping, sleeping in, no worries.........
I FEEL LIKE A TRUCK RAN ME THROUGH!!!! 
Not just ran me through but backed up, ran over me again, and then dumped some rocks on me!!!!
AM I ALONE???
 
AND.......are you ready for this??!?!?!?!?!
My kids were awesome!!! 
It wasn't my kids! 
I have the BEST class ever!!!
 It was ME!!!!!
(and maybe the hard floors, and the not relaxing, .........)
 
Wowzers!!!  The sad reality of all this is that I ran every day after Christmas....that didn't help!  I thought I was ready....Did I run this past week?  Are you kidding.....it was all I could do to get home to the couch!!!  Hoping I have transitioned and next week will be better!!  Eeek!
 
Okay, on to the lesson.  We started going over cause and effect this week.  That was a place my kiddos had a little trouble with on our mid year S.A.M. reading test. 
I introduced it with a small group mini lesson:)
Then we followed it up with some cause/effect  charades (thanks Linda for the idea:) )


What a HOOT!  They had a blast doing this and begged to do it some more!
We definitely will be adding this again next week:)
 
Also, during Work on Writing of our Daily 5 (4) rotations, I had them make cause/effect comic strips on paint strips.  (Side note....ADD walk, go with me here....hubby has been in construction, pools, for years.  Over break he was cleaning out the garage and had 2 huge paint sample books that someone had given him for old jobs.  Jackpot!!!  So I am going to use those babies up:) )
Ok, back to the lesson....on the front they had to draw a comic strip with a cause/effect relationship.  On the back they had to write sentences about it and underline the cause and box in the effect.  They loved this and they turned out super cute.
Here are a few of my faves:)
So cute!
Sorry about the shadows:/
I took all of their comics and made a bulletin board with them:)
Happy weekend everyone:)  I'll be back with cause/effect part 2 in a few days....right now I have a TO DO list a mile long because of that truck that ran me through earlier this week...he he...
 
Be blessed!

16 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I love how the paint strips naturally lend themselves to comic creation.

    I was also tired when we went back (we went back last Wednesday) and wound up taking naps every day last week! It'll slowly get better.

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't alone in your tiredness, we went back for three days last week and I was still exhausted by this week! I love the cause & effect comics, they came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute cause and effect comics!! I love the bulletin board! Great idea!

    I think that truck came by and hit all of us! We had been back the 2 days the week before last and I think I felt worse having to go 5 days (I guess that makes sense though).

    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea at your Writing Station. That is my #1 worst Station in my Reading Rotation. I never know what to do each week and I have a horrible time keeping up with stuff. Could you possibly do a blog post about it or if you don't feel like it, could you e-mail me with more info. How do you organize it? How do you keep track of the students' work? I have 66 kiddos.

    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads Alll the Way Home
    dfrideley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of these comic strips!! Thank you for sharing :) We will be covering cause and effect very soon! I also felt like you...my kids were great but I was just SO TIRED and couldn't keep up with all that needed to be done :/ Good luck next week :)
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!!! I need to go get me some paint strips!! I always feel guilty though walking out with a bunch!! And it looks like your kiddos had a great time with charades! I'm going to have to do that too because my kids love acting!! Hope you get time to rest up this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to use paint strips! You are so creative. Your kids are so lucky to have you! And charades- can you explain how that works? Do they pull a relationship out of a basket? I may have to use that very very soon.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the paint strips, Tara! I have been thinking I needed to get some for some steps in a process for problem solving. Now, after seeing how cute yours turned out, I'm sold :) Hope you are resting today and beginning to feel a little better.

    (((HUGS)))

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for cause and effect. You are not alone in the truck feeling. I also had a great week back, but thinking about being at home made it so hard. I didn't make it to the gym once, no energy. I can't wait until summer break when all of my energy reappears! :-)

    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cause and effect comics are so cute. My little ones get a basic introduction to cause and effect in second grade and I know that they'd love these activities- the charades look like a blast too!

    Great lesson activity...

    Your newest follower,

    ❀ Kate
    Purely Paperless

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the comic strip idea! I have a few reluctant boy learners who are obsessed with graphic novels--this would be right up their alley. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yeah:) I hope this helps:) My boys love it;)

      Delete
  13. I love the charades idea! So clever, and it looks like your kids were having a GREAT time! Thank you for sharing :)

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am obsessed with the idea of using paint samples as comic strips that illustrate cause and effect relationships. That was very creative to take something your husband found in your garage and use it in your classroom. I'm sure this activity was a great way to assess your students' understanding of cause and effect:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...