Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cause/Effect Part 2 - LOTS of Pics and Book Winner

Hi, hi!  Hope you are all having a great week so far!  I want to say thank you so much to Maria Dismondy for guest posting on my blog and announce my lucky winner!
Congrats to Nikki Lutzke!  Please email me with an address you would like your book shipped to:)
 
Ok, still working on cause/effect. 
I wanted to share some of the activities we have done.
Hopefully there's something in here you can use:)
 Buckle up cuz there's gonna be lots of pics:)
 
The first activity we did was make cause/effect "mini-quilts".  We folded a white piece of paper several times until it was divided into 16 little boxes (quilt squares).
The story we are reading has tons of cause/effect relationships in nature!  Of course my kiddos love this! So each little box/quilt square has a small pic with a little blurb (such professional teacher lingo..lol) about the cause/effect relationship in that pic.
These 2 pics are close ups of one of the squares.
 

These 2 pics are of the whole thing.  They really enjoyed doing these.  Yes, it did take a while....I stuck this into their Daily 5 rotation.
 
The next thing we made were cause/effect cards.
Again, the students used nature examples that they found in their expository nonfiction text. 
 
These are just blank note cards folded in half.  Cause on one side, illustrated.  Effect on the other.
Then folded up like a greeting card:)
 
This next idea was my wonderful teamie, Linda's creation and it's so super cute.
She had the kids come up with their own cause/effect.
Their effect was on a card and the card was cut in half and taped at the sides.
Then the cause was on the inside (when you open up the flaps).
This is the cutest!  She put them all on a house called "The Tower of Cause & Effect"
So there are little flaps to open all over to see the different cause/effects:) 
So cute, I had to share!!!
 
Finally, this week we also played Cause & Effect Cones!
I used these in small groups and the kids loved them:)
The ice cream scoops have causes and the cones have effects.  They match up BUT I handed out causes one day and had the students come up with their own effects and the other way around.
Then they could read them and match them up.


I hope you have made it through this longggg picture post.  I have to share a precious story that happened when we were using these cards in small groups. 
One of my sweet little guys got an effect card that said...
 
The wind took the balloon up into the sky.
He read it out loud and then they students in the group took turns coming up with their own causes...
 
I heard:
- maybe a little girl let go of the string
- I think a bully cut the string and the little kid's balloon floated up
 
Then my little cutie said:
" I think someone wrote a note to Jesus and taped it to the string and let it go."
 
Love moments like this!!!!
I would also LOVE to giveaway 3 sets of my Cause & Effect Cones to
the first 3 people who leave a comment and tell me how you could use these:)
Ready, set, go!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


17 comments:

  1. I'm a new 5th grade teacher and FINALLY launched Daily 5 in my classroom (mostly inspired by your posts!). I think these would be a great addition to my Daily 5 rotation. Cause and effect is such an essential part of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I forgot my e-mail address. Thanks so much!

      mcdonough.colleen.a@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Colleen....I would love to use the cause and effect cards during Daily 5!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot my email too...
      bkraft05@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I would love to use your cause and effect activities in my guided groups--such great ideas! Thank you for sharing them!!

    --jen
    msob123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use the cause and effect cones during my guided reading groups. My ESL students need a lot of work with them! Plus, anything you make is amazing.

    Maria
    everyonedeservestolearn@gmail.com
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make this a questioning activity too...so the students would have to ask, "Do you have a reason a balloon would float into the sky?"

    Looks great!

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it looks like I didn't make it for the freebie, but I still wanted to comment and let you know I LOVE the cause/effect nonfiction ideas!! Always looking for fun ways to interact with nonfiction. Thanks for sharing!!

    Jessica
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your fab cause & effect ideas and the cones are adorable!! They make me want some ice cream! And warmer weather! What a creative idea!!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love your sweet "cause/effect" story :) Your ice cream scoops look great in action!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! I won! I can't wait to check out Maria's new book! Thanks to you both for sharing her wonderful books on your blog!

    Nikki
    uncommontothecore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to see how your lessons come together!! It looks like they had a blast working on everything, thanks to their creative teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea....especially the ice cream cones at such a cold time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cause and effect mini quilts! I bet the students had so much fun with those. Your ice cream scoop activity is so clever too:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete