Sunday, January 27, 2013

GOTR, Ditties, Decimals, & V-day prep

Happy Sunday all!  I am so excited!  I am officially a GOTR (Girls on the Run) coach for our school:)  I went to my training yesterday and can't wait to start!  (I'm a little nervous too..lol)  Little back ground...I had never run in my life until last summer.  I remember the first time I tried like is was yesterday....why, you ask?  Because I was pretty sure after ONE block I was dying!!!  That's serious talk...that's how out of shape I was:(
Everyday I pushed a little farther...walk/run.....walk/run......run some more......a little more....until finally 33 pounds and I have no clue how many miles later, I can run just under 2 3/4 miles without stopping or dying:)  I love how running has helped me lose weight (still have a ways to go) but more than that, I love the time thinking, praying, just enjoying the outdoors:) 
So I am so excited to be able to be a part of GOTR and share that:) (p.s. you don't have to run to be a part of it....I know that but love that I can)  So, to celebrate, the hubs got me a new pair of running shoes last night!  Too excited to try them out:)  I have done some major damage to my old ones.
Okay, on to ditties:)  Do you use ditties to teach things?  I use songs, poems, chants....whatever it takes for my kiddos to remember something:)  For example, we use this ditty for rounding:
 
Find you place,
look next door
5 or higher
add one more.
All digits to the left,
stay the same.
All digits behind,
zero's your name.
 
Not sure who is the original author to this....a teacher friend shared it with me last year and I think she got it from a teacher magazine.  This really helps my kiddos because for some reason, rounding throws them:/
I have also taught them wonderful ditties written by an awesome teacher that used to teach at our school! 
 Ditties work! 
It's funny, sometimes when they are testing I will see them mouthing the words to one of the songs to help them remember:)
Well, I need a ditty for decimal place value!  My littles keep confusing tenths, hundredths, and thousandths!  Don't know why........it frustrates me.....they know they go in order......but they make careless mistakes:(  If anyone has any ditties to share, I would LOVE to hear them:)
Finally, I made something that turned out so cute, I had to share!  These are crayons people!!!
I got the motivation, directions, idea, the works from a super cute blog called Funky Fresh Firsties
Stacy's blog is adorable and packed full of fun!  Pop over there to check out her cute crayons!  She has an awesome step by step tutorial:)
I'm going to add these to a little goodie bag I'm making for the kiddos.  Don't have a lot of time for Valentine's day "partying" because the state writing test is breathing down our backs://
I can at least squeeze in a little treat time:)
I love how, just like my kiddos, each crayon heart is unique and beautiful!!
Thanks for popping by!  Have a blessed Sunday:) 
I
 
 


12 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! It is hard to stick with running! Those girls will be so lucky to have you mentor them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new shoes:) Bright and colorful, just like you! Working on my crayons a little later today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using songs/ chants too! Now that I am teaching 5th grade, the kids are too cool for that. :/ I used to come up with them just out of nowhere. As I read your post it got me thinking of an idea. I starting thinking of the song "On top of Spaghetti." I will run it thought my mind a bit and polish it before sharing. I will comment later when it's ready. :)

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your running accomplishment!! I've always wanted to "like" running. I start out doing well and then some how give up! Maybe I'll pick it up again. The crayons are so neat! Going to check those out now! Thanks for sharing!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on running! I did my first 5k two years ago! I remember when I was able to run 2 miles w/o stopping. The day of the race I never stopped. I mean, my time was horrible, but I didn't stop, not to walk, not for water! I had my coach with me the whole way! It was awesome! Then my feet started having problems and I haven't been able to run since. I am slowly getting back into it as my feet feel great again!

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go with running! And I love those crayons- they are too cute.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on becoming a Girls on the Run coach! Great program! :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on the running! I started a few years ago and the first month was the hardest! Now it's hard to stop :) I know it's hard to make it on a run as a teacher, but your heart will be glad you do. Keep up the awesome work

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you find anything decimal related that is helpful, please share! My kiddos are having the roughest time of it and I'm not quite sure what to do to help them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your running! Love your rounding ditty! Thanks!

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the coaching position! and LOVE the crayons! I need to do something like this for my students!

    www.bigcityteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete