Thursday, January 17, 2013

Literacy Week Book Sleeves and Tree!!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful week....if I'm telling the truth, I have had a couple of badddddd days!  Today was better:) 
 
Before I talk about our book sleeves I have to share a few pics....this is totally not school or teaching related but just had to share.......look at this tree:

Isn't it prettiful?!?!?!?!?!  (yep, it's a word:) )
This tree is in our front yard....it is covered with purple blossoms!  It's called a Hong Kong Orchid (I think).  As I'm typing and looking at these pics I'm realizing they don't even capture how pretty it is....oh well, I tried...on to our book sleeves:)
 
This week is "Celebrate Literacy Week Florida" and we have had some fun activities going all week:) 
One of the fun things we did and I wanted to share was the kids could create "Take the Lead and Read" posters OR make favorite book covers/posters. 
Well, I took it one step further.....I wanted my kids to think of an idea that they could write a book about.  It had to be original, not like any book they have read or copied.
They had to illustrate the cover, title it, and then write a little teaser/blub on the back............
just like a real book sleeve.
 
Well they had a blast with this.  They really put some thought into it and some of their teasers are just great! 
These are 2 different covers.

This is the cover and back that goes with it:)

Another.....
 
This one is one of my faves so far....her teaser/blurb is great:)

Fun activity!
I even had 2 of my kids ask if they could really write a book to go into the sleeve:)
Yep!  Yep you can:)
 
I'll be back in a few days with Cause/Effect Part 2:)
Have a great Friday everyone!
 

10 comments:

  1. I'm looking out at 6 inches of snow right now, so I think your tree is beyond prettiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree is so pretty and springy! We just got another snowstorm, it will be quite awhile before I see anything that colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I think The Life of a Troubled Kindergartner has real potential. And I'm from NJ. We don't have flowers right now, so thank you for sharing your tree!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tree!! And your kiddos' book sleeves look great!!! What a fun assignment to celebrate literacy week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a tree just like that in our yard. It is BEAUTIFUL when in full bloom...and then all the purple flowers fall and we have purple grass :)

    What a great idea! I am going to have to use something like that in my room soon. Thanks for the inspiration, as always.

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tree is gorgeous. It adds so much to your front yard. I would love to have a tree like that, especially since my office faces our front yard. Also, what darling book covers. They did a great job.

    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh I want that tree in my yard!! We don't really have many trees here in West Texas... just lots of tumbleweeds. Jealous of you friend!!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love book jackets! We did book jackets this year with our Lemonade War novel study. The kids had 3 writing samples-- book summary, character description, and a synopsis of a misunderstanding in the story. We set them up in MS Publisher, and they looked very professional! Defintely using the activity again. Caitlin (www.the-room-mom.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tree sure is prettiful :) Makes me think maybe I do need head your way for prettier weather! I love the book jackets, Tara. You are always so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures of your students' book jackets are adorable! The creativity of children never ceases to amaze me. Not only was this a fun activity to get them excited about literacy, but I bet you had a great time looking at their work:)

    ReplyDelete