Friday, February 22, 2013

Five for Friday Time:)

It's the little things in life that make me smile.....this morning it was a LARGE PUMPKIN LITE ICED LATTE from Dunkin Donuts at 6:30a.m.
Seriously.....I found myself smiling after that first drink as I'm walking back to my car.....is that sad or good??????  I can't decide...lol.
 

fiveforfriday

So here we go:

1)
My classroom went from fun, bright, and cozy, tooooooooooo.......
bare, cramped, and crowded:((
State writing test is next week....I don't like changing things on my kids at the last minute so I changed their desks from groups to yuk!!!  LOL!  I really hate my classroom like this but can't do anything about it....the walls are bare, see that dark, bare bulletin board in the background??? 
Super ugh!  This is with the chairs stacked and book luggage put away....it's a hot mess when that is all out!!!! 
 
 
 
2)
Speaking of state writing test, we have done TONS and I mean TONS of writing!  I am not a fan of state writing tests.....these judges only see one "snapshot"......I see where my babies started and where they are now.  I have been truly blessed with some amazing writers this year:)  One of the neatest things about this group is................are you ready for this?????
They LOVE to write!  We have had a blast writing and learning. 
Loving to write is way more important than the stress this test causes both my babies and myself!!
(ok, getting off the soap box now.....)
This is them doing a demand write......
 
 
 
3)
We made these neat science foldables this week:)  We are studying how plants and animals interact with their environment.  On the inside of the foldable half was about plants and how they interact with the environment, the other half was animals.  The kiddos had to draw 2 illustrations of each and then explain their pics in captions. (also working on non-fiction text features)

 
 
4)  Back to writing.........

Since the test is Tuesday, it's polish and hunker down time!  I bought these fun neon gel pens and gave every student one.  I handed out their most recent expository and told them to:
- put a star by anything wonderful (creativity skill, strong verbs, sensory words, adjectives)
- circle any mistakes (no caps, missing punctuation, spelling errors)
- underline transition statements
 
What an EYE OPENER this was for them.  Once they were done and had these bright colors screaming at them either "good job" or "oops!", it really made a difference.  They all tell me over and over again, I did it, I got it....it's all there....then to see it in color.  Right away, they knew what they had to do to make their writing stronger:)  It was like the proof they needed to see:)  I really think this will help with some last minute changes they need to make:)
 
 
5)
I'm gonna have to wrap this up with another "little thing in life" that makes me smile....don't know why the short week seemed so long (pre-test stress) but it did, soooooooooo
So icky....I know....putting my toes on my blog!  LOL!  Sorry, but this chick needed a mani and pedi after work today:)))  The hubs bought me a gift certificate for Valentine's so I had to use it:)))
(no making fun of my toes.....)
 
Ok, I'm outta here!  Have a blessed weekend:)))

 


20 comments:

  1. A mani and pedi sounds heavenly!! :) Our writing test is coming up in March and I am dreading it! I have some fabulous writers and then some that I cannot read a work of what they wrote. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so hard to take all of your great resources down - knowing that they are helpful tools for the students. I work on transition words at the beginning of the year since I can not possibly make it through the first month reading stories/journal/retell that have sentences that start with "So then..." "And then..." "So then...". Your mani/pedi looks great!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are going to do a great job on the test!! I just know it because they have had you guide them all year :)
    The mani-pedi looks fantastic! I'm needing a pedi so bad....
    Relax this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They will do great!! Don't stress too much! (Easier said than done, I know!)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally not sad that coffee makes you smile! I'm a firm believer of starting Friday with a yummy coffee, my preference being a Skinny Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks. It makes me smile EVERY time I drink from it!! (I don't know Dunkin' well enough to order a fun coffee) :O(

    Anyway, state writing tests are the pits, but it sounds like your kiddos are prepped and ready. (I hate the testing classroom too- we have to take EVERYTHING down. As if testing isn't bad enough- staring at nothing all day is depressing!)

    Good luck next week! Sometimes I think it's worse on the teacher having to watch!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to you and your class!! Our Writing test in Virginia is coming up in a few weeks. My teammate, who teaches writing to all our 5th graders, was a 4th grade teacher in Florida before she came to us! We are sending positive thoughts your way : )

    Young Daze in 5th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a frist year teacher in Florida....4th grade! I have felt so bad giving them all these hour prompts this week. We are having a rockin writers day on Monday though, they are anxious to have some fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to your kiddos on their tests next week! SO glad I'm not in a state testing grade! Oh, and I'm SUPER jealous of your mani/pedi! I think it looks FAB!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the gel pen idea- my kiddos can be such resistant editors this year, I may try that first thing Monday morning!! Our state writing tests are in a few weeks and I share your angst about the classroom- as soon as those tests are over, I try to get it back to normal ASAP!! Enjoy your beautiful mani/pedi this weekend- you totally deserve it :) Thanks for always sharing all of your great ideas!

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on the state writing test! Hmmm...you are making me think I need a mani pedi ASAP!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the gel pen idea! My kids totally drag their feet about editing.

    I had no idea that there were such things as state writing tests. Best of luck to you and the kiddos! I'm sure they'll do great!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  12. And then only 29 (or is it 28?) days until you get to prep the room again. Sigh. It is times like this I'm happy to teach third!

    Just think - after this year there is only one more year of Writes before everyone has to write to respond through PARCC!

    Mani/Pedi and coffee are all in order! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be also giving the test on Tuesday! I'll send great thoughts your way! I dread the "getting your room test ready" look! I usually don't take anything down-I cover or turn over, so I can quickly get all that color back in my room! I also linked up with Doodle Bugs and posted about our writing test! (I have a secret weapon I'm going to use on my kids!) hehe. Your kids will do wonderful because you're wonderful! Your toes will look great as you're circulating during testing! Good luck!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a bummer about your classroom:( I had no idea that testing was so extensive as to reorganize your class. I love all your pictures and ideas. Your students are lucky to have you:) Now that I see your mani pedi pic, I realize how badly I need one!! Have a wonderful weekend:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry, I like the before pictures, too. I love the gel pen idea, I can totally use it in first grade. Thanks.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boo for testing!!! I always love seeing pictures of your classroom though!! (The before ones, not the testing ones :) ) It is so bright and fun and cheerful!! Love your fun science foldables!! I was just thinking that I need to plan some fun science lessons this weekend, so that is a great idea for me to start with! And your gel pen idea is fabulous! Great way to get students to actually WANT to mark up their paper!! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear ya on the demand writes. We haven't done that many yet and I am really worried that many of my students are not going to finish the test this year. They decreased the time of the writing portions of the test by 20 minutes this year without decreasing the length of the test (of course!). Some students were writing up to the last minute with 20 more minutes in previous years! I guess they need another trick up their sleeve to make the scores have the decrease they are projecting:) Ugh! I will be thinking of you next week...you have done what you can do, fabulous Tara!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the bright colors of your pens. . . I see why your kids liked them. I just got a pedi last weekend and our colors are almost the same. Good luck with your writing it sound like you kids will do great.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love your science foldables!! Thanks for sharing your fun 5!
    ✿Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the gel pen idea!! I'm a first year teacher and am quite terrified of the looming state test. I think some of these tips will really work in my classroom.

    On another note, I'm having a hard time finding a good read aloud for my 4th graders. I have more boys than girls in my class and want to get they excited about reading. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete