Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pre-Writing Test Treats + Freebie

Hey there!  If you didn't see my last post, our state writing test is coming up.  I have been working hard to come up with a little reminder/encourager/motivator/treat to give my kiddos tomorrow. (the test is Tuesday)  I have seen lots and lots of super duper cute test motivators with candy treats, but I wanted to try to come up with something without candy.  Don't get me wrong, I love the candy treats and will probably use some of those for the reading and math tests, but I am pretty sure my kiddos got enough candy for Valentine's day to last for months!!
 
Enter, these items...
I also wanted to write a letter to them and share my heart with them about how I feel about their writing.  This group of kiddos is so special and have really developed a love of writing.  It shows in the improvements they have made and the content of what they write. 
 
Do I have some stress?  Yes, but not from my kiddos.....my stress lies in the fact that some person who doesn't know my kids will look at their paper and score it.....they don't see what I see on a daily basis, they don't know the kids background, and they don't know how very far these kids have come....so, I really just wanted to come up with something that tells my kiddos
I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!
 
Here is what I came up with:
First I stuffed 22 of these little tiny bags with star confetti and glittery foam stars. 
They are each going to get a little bag of stars with this letter:
I truly mean every word!  I just adore these kiddos and so love the writers they have become.
 
I also made some fun bookmark reminders to give them as well. 
I used these adorable pencils by Krista Wallden at Creative Clips.
I think they will be perfect reminders:)
They are a FREEBIE at my TPT store if you would like a set:)
I think they will be great reminders for writing and also great to use in my kiddo's book luggage.  They are always needing a bookmark:)


16 comments:

  1. These are SO cute! What a wonderful idea - I'm sure your kiddos will love them :)

    Thanks for the freebie! Our state tests aren't until April, but I'm filing them away til then!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I am so glad you can use them:))

      Delete
  2. Those are so fantastic, your kids are going to love them. Where did you get the glitter stars???? I NEED them for my class. Thanks for the freebie and for always sharing such great ideas.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect for our 4th grade writing STAAR test coming up after spring break! Thank you!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the star goodie bag! What a sweet alternative to candy! Your students are lucky to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara~ Totally great minds! I have our Math and ELA assessments next month, and when I saw Krista's pencils.. I thought about making something similar and attaching pencils for the test along with a lollipop for a little sugar.
    I have to commiserate about the grading of those tests. It is hard when people who don't know your students have to grade. We even have middle school science and social studies teachers grading our math assessments. I 'm not saying they aren't capable, but they don't deal with the math every day, so if a student comes up with an answer that is not done the "normal" way sometimes they lose points when the answer and work is actually correct.

    Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super sweet treat for your students to get before testing. Your students are so lucky to have you as their teacher:) They are going to do a great job!!! They have had you guiding them to be the best writers they can be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I think your students will love it! Good luck to you guys on the writing test Tuesday. My 4th graders take theirs on March 18th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem for your students - a great idea! Love seeing how others get inspired.
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I teach fourth grade too and will be giving this writing test on Tuesday! I'm going to make up a cute little bookmark like yours. Love the idea of a gift too, but no candy. Good luck. Maybe this test will go away in the near future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea....you have brought me to tears. I know the feeling of watching your "little stars" grow but not yet being up to grade level. I have a bunch of those little guys this year and I feel for them having to take this test because they've come so far....yet not far enough for standardized testing :(

    Stephanie Ann
    Sparkling in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any grade could use your bookmark! Super cute! Good luck on the test tomorrow!

    ~Heidi V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sweet! I love how you've honored your students and given them something so special. Good luck on the tests!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The little note you gave with the star was sooo sweet. I'm thinking it would be nice to adapt it as an end of the year note for my firsties. Thanks for the idea!
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete