Thursday, February 7, 2013

Small Groups, Puddles, and Sticks....Oh My!!

Ok.....lame title but maybe got your attention:) 
We are in FULL WRITE MODE with the state test quickly approaching.
Gotta squeeze in the fun whenever I can:)
Well, this idea was from my teamie and I just loved it so I had to share!
She sent a little bowl of these puddles over with a cute note and magazine clipping.
The kids can use these as they are reading:)
They LOVE this!!!!  So simple (and cheap....hello Dollar Tree), yet fun and at times effective!
Yes, I said effective....
or should I say magical...lol. 
Some of my fluency strugglers read SO well today!
A.MAZ.ING!!!!
Magical I tell ya!!!
They just slide the little puddle along as they read:)  Now I do guided reading/teacher time as I call it, as one of my Daily 5 (4) rotations, so they use these with me.  I may just go buy a bag this weekend so they can keep one in their book luggage to use during read to self....I haven't decided yet.
Now of course, if they "play" with them, I take them back. 
You will also see if some of the pics our wonderful multiple choice fans (sticks).
I have blogged about my multiple choice fans before.  We use them in small groups as well.
I love these sticks!  They are a great way to assess and see where each kiddo is and how they are understanding the passage we are working on, without someone blurting out the answer.  Now, the pic above just shows them holding up their answers but they normally cover the answer until I see it...like this:
Then I nod my head or say "No" and they try again.
With these, everyone in the small group can answer at their own pace.
They are so "into" figuring out the correct answer and then finding the right letter on their sticks, that I seldom have anyone "cheating". 
Read more about the multiple choice fans HERE and HERE.
 
A couple of shout outs to end this post......
Shout Out #1: Thanks Kristen at Ladybug Teacher's Files for
the wonderful tutorial on watermarking your pics with your blog button:)
Her tutorials are the bomb and have taught me so much AND kept me from flinging my computer across the room when I get frustrated...lol!
 
Shout Out #2:  I have to shout from the rooftops, my bloggy bud Elizabeth from Fun in Room 4B
was just chosen as Teacher of the Year at her school!!!  I am so excited for her!  If you haven't visited her blog, you must!  Tons of ideas and inspiration!  Pop over there and tell her CONGRATS!!
(Elizabeth, please don't be mad at me for blabbing....I'm just sooooo happy for you!!)
 
Happy Thursday all, the weekend is almost here:)
 
 


15 comments:

  1. I love the 'puddles'. That is such an awesome idea!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a split second I thought the puddles were ice cubes- it's a good thing I scrolled down! What a fantastic idea...going to see if I can find some this weekend!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the puddles just might be exactly what I need to add a little excitement into our guided reading time. I love your multiple choice fans as well! So many great ideas just in time to start preparing for state tests!

    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. The multiple choice sticks are great! Making some this weekend! Ad the watermark tutorial was wonderful!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I could never be mad for the sweet shout-out :) Oh my word, how simple, clever and incredibly smart are the "puddles"? I love them! And the fans! How have I missed those? Looks like a Made It for me in the future. I absolutely think they are the smartest thing EVER :) Guess what? It's almost the weekend!!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use those all the time in my small groups!! - the little glass drop thingies...so fun!
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ideas! I love the multiple choice sticks! You can get a true quick assessment. No looking around to see what someone else thinks. Puddles...way cute!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the multiple choice sticks! These are such a great idea! The puddles are so cute, too! Great ideas!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  9. The puddles are adorable- my little ones would dig them! I am moving up to a new grade level next year and I can see a lot of uses for the multiple choice fans. What a neat idea. Love your blog, lady!

    ❁ Kate
    Purely Paperless

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'll have to pick up some "reading puddles" this weekend. What an awesome idea. My kids love the little things, so this will be great for them!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome! did you paint all those craft sticks? what did you use? love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the puddle idea as well as the multiple choice fan. I will have to try both in my room. My students are always getting lost when they are reading. This will encourage them to "point" to the word they are on.

    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the puddle idea, I think that they will help the children follow the text and also make some children more passionate and willing to read. Thanks for sharing, as a trainee teacher I'm trying to gather as many ideas as I can before I graduate.

    I hope you can leave some feedback on my blog too,
    All the best,

    Ben
    beingbenm.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ensure Yourself Success By Using Printable GED Practice Tests
    best ged book

    ReplyDelete
  15. The little puddles are so cute! I am thinking of a science magnifying lesson to use them with - my wheels are spinning now!! Thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue

    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete