Social Studies Foldables

Happy Monday everyone!
This will be short and sweet.....
I'm getting sick:( 
Seems like everyone else is and I was so glad it had missed me.....
well.........I think it caught me....uck!
Anywhosie.....
FOLDABLES!!!!  If I can make one, I'm going to! 
The kids think they are wonderful and enjoy making them so much,
they forget the are actually "working"....Ha!
I had them do these at the end of our unit on
The Causes and Effects of Spanish Exploration.
 
(Apologies in advance....the pics are hard to see because they are on white paper:/)

There's 2 parts to this foldable and I used it as a little assessment for our chapter study.
The left side is vocabulary.  I had my kids do these Laura Candler style from Corkboard Connections.
You can read about her vocabulary foldables here....TONS of great info on her blog:)

So, on the left they did vocab...the word and a picture on the flap. 
Then the definition on the inside.

On the other side of the foldable there were only 2 flaps.  The top flap was...
"The effect the Spanish exploration had on the Native Americans"

 
The bottom flap was...
"The reasons for Spanish exploration"
The students had to give a summary for each of these flaps explaining
the causes and effects (the whole idea of our unit lesson)

I think they turned out pretty good and as I said before, the kids loved doing them....
having fun while learning:)
SO important!!
I would LOVE to know IF you use foldables and if so, HOW???
I need some other ideas:))
 
 


11 comments

  1. I use foldables! We did them for fact and opinion, for punctuation, and we'll be doing them for a main idea and detail refresher. We're going to make the table that was floating around pinterest.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you maximized your foldable space by doing both the vocab and summaries on one foldable. It makes a lot of sense for the kids to see the vocabulary as a reminder when doing the summaries. Great idea and one that I think I'll be trying out as we start on our review journey is social studies.

    I've tried using foldables as assessment tools this year with some success. I blogged about it not that long ago - come on over and check it out.

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me a good foldable too! They really do seem to mask the actual work that the students are doing, don't they? I love your spin on the vocab foldable too. Fabulous!

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked how you used vocab and summaries in the same foldable. I've blogged about a few that I've used {here}. They are the Laura Candler vocab one that you've used, and I've also done a noun one, verb one, and a mini book for reasons of exploration. I have a lot of foldables coming up in social studies with the colonies and the American revolution!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students also love foldables. It's so funny to me how much more fun they think taking notes is on a foldable than in their notebooks! We just did one today on the three branches of government (since we are studying how our New Nation was built) and they had to put the branches, who is in that branch, what their job(s) are, and then draw a symbol that represents that branch. They were so excited!!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to use foldables more often because my kids just love them!! These look awesome Tara...I'll be pinning in a moment so I remember to do this very soon.

    I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well--get better soon girl!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the foldables! I use them all the time with my students too. I actually posted about how I use them for science here and how I use them in math here and here.
    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the reminder about how much students love using foldables! I use them every so often in science and SS but would like to incorporate them more.

    This summer I want to revamp my math program and really look into the interactive math notebook that I have heard about. We are abandoning our out of date math series (finally!) but I am not sure we will have materials to replace it with. The "modules" are going to be our textbook, I guess?? Thank you for sharing!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    I hope you can rest and get well! It is better to rest now than have to fight it off longer later:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better soon!! I love using foldable a for all subjects and have been using interactive notebooks for a few years. It has really made a huge difference in my students' learning and remembering what they learned. Get some rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVES me some foldables! One of my fave ways to use them is through lapbooks. I teach 2nd, and we're doing one on weather and the water cycle right now. It takes forever with the littles having to explain each step, and I always have 2 (or more) who cut in the wrong place because they *gasp* weren't listening (I know, it's unthinkable). But anyway, it's worth it! :) One of my colleagues just sent me this website that you may want to check out--it has foldables with directions for each one. http://www.squidoo.com/minibooks

    Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, i got this book at our state GT conference, and it's great, especially for 4th and 5th grade! http://dinah.mybigcommerce.com/dinah-zikes-notebooking-central-notebook-foldables-literature-response-including-literature-circles/

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top