Rotations, Reflections, and Translations - Math Art!!

When I saw this on Pinterest, (source HERE) I got SOOOOO excited!  We had just gone over rotations, reflections, and translations in Math and I knew this would be the perfect activity to wrap it all up.
 
We used 4 x 6 blank index cards.  The kids divided them into 4 squares. 
1st box - first letter of their name
2nd box - 90 degree rotation
3rd box - reflection
4th box - translation
 
 
They loved doing this activity.  I put it in Math Workshop as their At Your Seat rotation.  It did take a couple of days for them to finish. (our rotations are only 13 - 15 minutes)


Some of my kiddos, depending on their letter, had a hard time with reflection....they were doing a 180 degree rotation instead of a reflection.  It really helped them understand the difference and "see" the different transformations.  I think it's hard for some kids to visualize the different moves.
 
When they were all done, it made an awesome bulletin board:)
I'll be posting another Math and Art project we are finishing up soon:)
Have a great rest of your weekend!
Be blessed!
 


10 comments

  1. We need to review this skill before state testing in two weeks. I am totally using this. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! =)

    Ms. Smith
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this activity! This would be great review for the end of the year! Thanks for sharing!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cute and fun way to review!! I bet they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Kids seem to love Math Art.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Will try to squeeze it in this week! We are covering THREE math standards this week. :/
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara,

    These are amazing!!! I wish I saw this idea back when we were learning this! Might need to do it for a review :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm behind in reading, I'm sorry! These are just gorgeous! What a cool way to teach these!!

    I hope you have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to use this next year! Doing crafty things like this is a great way to end a unit. Thanks for sharing!

    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the geometry art! I will definitely incorporate that next year!

    Stacy
    Treats 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in the article, It is nice to read such kind of good posts I like your work keep it up!
    professional voice overs  

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top