What Will I DEF be Doing Next Year???

I am thrilled to be joining the first linky of my sweet friend and  kindest person I know, Kim at Finding Joy in 6th Grade!
 
This linky is a must for me......my summer officially started yesterday afternoon and although I haven't had a lot of time to reflect, I do know what I def. will be doing next year....
 
I was super inspired last summer by Stephanie at Teaching in Room 6 and her calendar math.  (If you haven't read about it, you MUST)  Anywho, because of time constraints, I had to tweak it a little bit and my morning math meeting was born.  My kiddos showed some great gains in math this year and I strongly believe it was due to our morning math meeting and incorporating math workshop this year.  So, I will definitely be doing it again next year and trying to make it better.  I do have one big challenge ahead of me though....our master schedule is being changed.....math was first for us so that worked perfect with the meeting.....now, not sure how things will work.....BUT I WILL make it work:)
 
I had my T.O.T. this year that really helped me with organization BUT I still had some loose ends paperwork that I needed to be more organized with......and I am a hot mess when it comes to filing the kids paperwork weekly.  I need to come up with a system for that, like sending things home and be organized about it.......thoughts?
 
This is a biggie.....I need to let more things "roll off me" and not sweat the small stuff.  Maybe some deep breathing techniques...lol.  Last year was full of changes and at times I let them get the best of me:/  This next year will be even more challenging...we are finally rolling out common core BUT still state testing our state standards.......yikes!  I've got lots of common core reading and learning to do over this summer!  If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE leave them in a comment:)
 
Last summer I worked my butt of (literally) and lost 33 pounds!  I did that by eating right and running every day.  When school started my exercise routine took a back seat....thankfully I didn't gain tons back BUT some........I have already started running everyday since Saturday (up to 3.3 miles...woop! woop!) and want to keep that up, not only over the summer but for sure when school starts again!  Running (exercise in general) is such a great stress reliever....at least it is for me, so I want to make sure I put that at the top of my list and not push it off!
 
I have tons of other things I could go on and on about but I think I'll stop with these 4:)  Happy hump day everyone!  Pop over to Kim's and see what everyone else is doing next year!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments

  1. Amazon has a book about common core writing caked getting to the core of writing. There's one for every grade. I was going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do all of these! I started some math workshop kind of thing and my kids loved it. I have to figure it out better. Being organized is a tough one for me too. I always have student papers piled up to file. I usually get one of my kids to sort it all out by student for me and then I throw it all in the files. And I need to stress less too. But that is hard. Good luck!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to stress less, too! :)

    We are finally implementing common core next year (with literally NO training) so I will be working on this all summer. I'm starting the National Writing Project June 3rd so I hope to learn LOTS!! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to work on the stress less and smile more next year too. :o)

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a milk crate to file student papers then a parent volunteer can take it or a student can take it to their seat if they get done early. It's really helped me. Papers to file just go at the beginning. Last year I read Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching by: Angela Watson. It really helped me focus on the big things in teaching and not stress the small.

    Happy Summer!

    blackboardandbeyond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top