Writing by "Campfire" Light

7 days left with my kiddos!!!!!!  Oh my word!  I am NOT ready to say goodbye to this group!!  I adore them and we have had the best, best, best year!!!
 
I am trying to squeeze all the fun in I can before it's all over!  It's all connected to academics of course but fun is priority one:D
 
Today we did a super fun activity I learned about from my teammate.  We talked about camping and brainstormed different camping words and activities you would do when you are camping......then I told them they were going to write a narrative about a camping experience/adventure..............
 
Not gonna lie........I got some groans...........BUT THEN I BROKE OUT THESE!!!!!!!
 

GLOW STICKS!!!!
I told them each that their glow stick was their own little campfire and they were going to write their papers by campfire light.  We turned off the lights and they wrote and LOVED every second!!
 
 

The glow sticks came in packs of 2 from the Dollar Tree:)
So very fun! 

I can't wait to read their stories:)
I would love to hear any of your end of the year FUN ideas!  I still have 7 days left with my kids and plans to cram in as much fun as possible!


12 comments

  1. Awesome! I will totally be stealing this idea! I have my students until June 17, and then again for summer school, so this will definitely make an appearance.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We are down to 5 days!! We've been doing the balloon popping countdown thing, which has helped our sanity :) we did minute to win it the other day... Not really academic but hilarious and great community/team building :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea!! My students would LOVE this!

    Corrina

    Mrs. Allen's 5th Grade Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super-duper idea! I can't wait to spring this on my little friends! I'm so glad you had a little fun with your kids :) Enjoy these last few days.

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will add this to my camping day. :) We make solar oven smores that day, "paint your own stone" thing, and sing campfire songs, and write a postcard about their year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the glow stick idea! May have to steal that one for our Camp Write Along.

    We have 4 days left of school. Tomorrow my students are writing letters to the new 4th graders for next year telling them what to expect next year, about their teachers, what they will learn and much more. I also saw a great idea on Twitter tonight that students can write a letter to themselves using the site www.futureme.org and it will send them the letter in the future. How cool is that!!

    I also plan to have students do open wordles on one another. Students will type their name in the wordle 10 times and then other students will type a word in their box that describes them. Great end of the year present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea...I do a camping unit so this will definitely be added this year. Thanks for sharing!

    Stephanie Ann
    Sparkling in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOW FUN! I was actually planning an activity very similar! We are reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with my Narnia lapbook, and we are getting close to where they are hiding at the Beavers house. I was going to have students write in the dark (with just lamps) about what it would be like. I may need to steal this glow stick idea! THANKS :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I told my friends at school about it too. I'll be heading to Dollar Tree this weekend to pick up some glow sticks. I know they kids will flip for it! Have a great weekend!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. My kids would LOVE that. . . PINNING!!!!!!!

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, LOVE this idea. I am so going to steal (I mean borrow!) :-)

    Cynthia

    My Kind of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg, I love this Tara! That is such a fun idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top