Thursday, June 13, 2013

Autobiographies for EOY and BOY:)

Happy Summer all!
 
I am trying hard to think my summer isn't going by fast but IT IS!!!
 
I have a 2 day common core training coming up and then June is over:(((
 
I have decided that in between Monday Made It posts and other wonderful linkies, this summer I would blog about a few things we did during the year that I didn't have time to blog about because crazy got in the way.........you understand that, right?
 
Today I want to share an awesome product that I got from a super sweet blogger.  A little while back I saw an awesome post about adorable autobiographies made by Becky from Dots-n-Spots.  (she is also a 4th grade teacher) When I saw her post about these, I was knocked over with the cuteness and how wonderful an idea this is:)  I need to tell ya, she got this awesome inspiration and  idea from Christi at Ms. Fultz's Corner.  Thank you Christi for such an incredible activity for the kids!
 
I thought....what a great way to end the school year:)
So we started working on them.  There are several pages:)  Some of them I assigned for homework, so they could ask their parents questions....and some of them I had them do during Daily 5, Work on Writing.

The kids LOVED doing this.  Some of them even brought in real pictures for the cover.  They all really put some time and effort into these.
One of my favorite pages that Becky made for these is the "I AM" page...
I really enjoyed reading each and every one of these......some of them brought me to tears....like I said, the kids were very thoughtful with their answers and responses.
 
I did a TERRIBLE job of taking pics but that's ok because you have got to check out her post on this awesome set!  There are tons of pages and options (you can see all those in her blog post)  It even has a rubric for grading:) 
 
Now, as I have been preparing for the next school year, I was thinking how much fun my kids had doing these and how much more I got to know them by reading them all.........then I thought....
WHAT A GREAT BEGINNING OF THE YEAR PROJECT!!!!
So yep, that's what I am planning to do:)
You have got to pop over to Becky's blog and see her post on these!  They are just awesome!


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for blogging about this awesome project! I must have missed it on the other two blogs and I love that good ideas can come around again. God bless the world of blogging. Your projects turned out super cute!

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful idea! I'm so glad you blogged about it. I think I will do this with my homeroom class next year as an opening activity :)
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for blogging about this amazing idea! I do a similar thing with my kiddos, but this is way cuter! thanks for sharing :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to see all of the different spins on my project. I am always super touched by my students' work too... they open up so much more in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. :) I'm sure the kids loved it and it could open up so many teachable moments. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look adorable!! I'm going to add that to my beginning of the year file!! Thanks so much for sharing! I love Becky's cute blog and ideas! :)

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this idea! Definitely an activity I will keep in mind for the first few weeks of school! :) Thanks for sharing.

    Katie

    Adventures in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of doing this at the beginning of the year! Thanks for sharing this great idea! :)

    -Allison
    Adventures in Room 204

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking the same thing- what a great beginning of year project! Thanks for sharing! I attended a two day Common Core training this week! Good luck and hope you get lots of great ideas! It's such an exciting time in education!

    ReplyDelete