Morning Math Meeting - Rollin' into Week 4

What?  Starting week 4????
 
It seems like I was just scrambling for open house!  I can't believe how quickly time is going by.  We have had a good start to this new school year.  I love my new kiddos and they have been working hard.  We have successfully launched Daily 5 and Math Workshop:)  I only wish I  had more time in a day to get EVERYTHING in that I need/want to!!! 
 
 
I have recently had several questions about our Morning Math Meeting, so thought I would try to explain/answer some of that today.
I have one of those dry erase easel cart things, so that's what I use every morning for our Math Meeting.  (any dry erase board or chalk board will work.....do people still have those?  I have a huge one in the back of my classroom but only use it for our math word wall.)
 
Each morning, before the kiddos come, I set up the board with 5 -8 different problems.  One or 2 of the problems are what we have been working on already.  Some are things that we won't get to in our text for a while (area and perimeter), others could be something they maybe have been struggling with.  EVERY single day we have a multiplication problem!  Almost everything we do in 4th grade is built on them knowing their multiplication facts, so I always use the Multiply It header:) 
 
 I also add problems that I know 4th graders struggle with like variable expressions.  Those I will add very soon.  At first, no one knows what to do.  If they get to a problem they don't know how to do, I tell them to try it or skip it.  As we are solving whole group, I explain.  The next day, a few kids get it....and then the next day a few more.  So, by the time we get to expressions, most of my kids have it.  It worked great last year:)
 
I am lucky because Math is our first subject of the day!  The first couple of days of school my kids were trained how to do morning math meeting.  As soon as the announcements are over they take their dry erase boards and markers and head to the carpet and begin.
These are the boards I made over the summer.  They are so awesome and we use them ALL the time!  Fairly cheap to make too:)  If you missed this post, it's just shower board from Home Depot.  They even cut it for you.  I just added the tape for cuteness, of course, and to finish off the edges:)


The kids were "trained" in this just like Daily 5.....get started right away, stay in one spot, work quietly....you get the idea.  While they are working, I am doing attendance, messages to office....checking agendas....that kind of thing.  I only give them about 5 minutes, if that to get it done.

After a few minutes, our meeting starts.  As soon as I greet them, they know to close their markers.  Yes, there are a few students who don't get all the problems done.  I need their markers closed so I know they are watching and listening to me and explanations, instead of writing.
 
While we are solving these whole group, I use a lot of WBT....mirrors on....because I teach them different hand motions to go along with some of the things like area, perimeter, and place value.
 
We also do tons of celebrating!  Lots of little cheers when we get the answers right.  After we solve each "header" together, I quickly ask "raise your hand if you got that right" and then we do a little cheer.  This gives me the opportunity to quickly scan the group and see who is struggling and see if they understand why.  Most of them are just multiplying or adding wrong.
(Don't judge the writing....lol!  I'm writing sideways as I'm talking and bending and all kinds of things) 
 
This whole process usually takes about 12-15 minutes.  The more used to it they get, the quicker it goes.  They LOVE it and that makes me happy!  There have been times I have forgotten to fill in a spot and they are all over that!  They want more and that is music to my ears!  We are already up to 4 digit by 1 digit multiplication and they are begging me for bigger:)
 
I hope this helps explain our little routine and how it works in my room! 
 
Now I am off to Tay's college!  She has a tourney today!  Can't wait to see her and watch her play vball!!!  Have a blessed weekend everyone!!!!


15 comments

  1. Thanks for this great explanation about your Morning Math Meeting. I am excited to have math first thing this year and am thinking of doing the same thing, so I really appreciate your tips.

    I can't believe you are starting Week 4 already...we don't start class until after Labor Day and go until June 11th. :(

    Have a great weekend!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of hand motions do you use? Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Think I will incorporate this into my morning meeting. Math is also our first subject of the day this year. Wasn't sure how I would like that at first but it helps because the kids are fresh!

    Marlene
    I Heart Teaching Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining! It really helps to spiral back, and forward with our math warmup. Thanks for reminding me that it gets better, the training takes a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Tara. I really like how you have it set up for them and they get right to it. I would love to see the WBT part in action...can you video yourself?

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you explained everything! I'd love to see your WBT hand movements. I'm tweaking my "math meeting/ calendar math" and this post sure helps a lot!!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the math meeting idea. I am trying to figure out how I can fit it into my day. We do a three way switch and it usually starts first thing in the morning. Haven't started back yet so maybe this years schedule will be different.

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how detailed you explained this! Thanks! Pinning this now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My class loves your math meeting too. I have it on a pocket chart by our carpet area, and have different color index cards under the headers for the kids to do the different skills, then I use a smaller hand held whiteboard to do the different problems with them. It works - I don't have an easel...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I can't believe you are starting week FOUR! This post is so detailed and I love all your math meeting signs and the whiteboards you made. :) It sure makes me think about how I will miss teaching math this year (it is my favorite subject!).
    ~Holly
    http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/2013/08/social-studies-mentor-text-and-peek-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do something similar and love this version of it. The daily kind of "spiral" review is really priceless and saves me time down the road. LOVE the tape around the edges of the whiteboards. I did the shower board thing about 15 years ago and I've always hated those edges! I'm off to get more tape!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What do you do when you are gone for the day? Do you have a template of sorts to have them do it on paper if needed?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top