Character Traits Fun with the Potato Chip Champ

If you have been reading my blog you know I love Maria Dismondy books!  Super love them!  They always have such great messages and are super dupe for the beginning of the school year.
We read this book the first week of school but last week we revisited it and jumped into character traits.  Through out most of this story the 2 main characters are pretty different so that gave us the opportunity to do some double bubble (thinking maps) comparing character traits about Champ and Walter:)  The kids really enjoyed doing this and it was a great book to start character traits with:)

I have quite a little artist in my class this year:)  He is VERY good so he wanted to make a poster to go in the hall along with our double bubbles:)
Told ya he was good:)

Here is our display in the hall:)
 
This all was a great follow up to some awesome Interactive Character Analysis Posters from Head Over Heals for Teaching.  I just love this HUGE set from Joanne!  (it is so big, due to lack of wall space and me not wanting to overwhelm my kiddos...I only put up half the set to start with, then I will switch them out.)
Here is a close up of 2 of them:)  We have already started filling out the post its that go here:)  For right now, since character traits were just introduced to my kids, we are only completing the post its for the read alouds I do with the kids.  (PS right now we are reading The One and Only Ivan.  FABULOUS book!!!!!!)  We have gone over each of the posters I have hung and talked about all the different traits.  As they hear me read about a character that might fit that trait they raise their hand and we discuss it.  If they are right, that student fills out a post it:)  It's neat....they are constantly listening and looking back at the posters to see if they can plug one in:)
 
Right now the posters are on my lower cabinet doors which is perfect for them to read and interact with:)  Pop over to Joanne's blog to read more about these.  Love, love them:)  They will be something we will be using all year;)
If you haven't check our Maria's books, you MUST!!
Maria Dismondy  Just click on her name to take you to her page to read more about her great books:)
I have every one of these and each of them is amazing:))))
 
 


10 comments

  1. I am a HUGE Maria fan too! I read The Potato Chip Champ to my first graders last week. Just once, I'd like to get through that book without tearing up!
    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara--

    Thank youfor sharing The Potato Chip Champion! I have not seen it before--while I have seen her other books. I have been wanting to use a different text at the beginning of the year to help students understand character traits and comparing/contrasting, and this appears to be a good choice. Thanks so much for the link to her site where a resource pack is posted as well. From what I can tell, this book looks appropriate for second grade--would you agree? I would appreciate any thoughts you may have... Thanks much!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have everyone of those books. Maria is WONDERFUL. YOu do have an artist. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, need to get those posters. I would love to read that book, but our focus is on historical fiction. Suggestions...

    Melissa
    Ms. Chae Charges In

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those posters are on my wish list! I just finished my first two days of school and my mind is just swimming with all of the lessons I need to start. I love that you started with half of the posters and will switch them out for new ones later. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tara! I appreciate your shout out! I'm so glad you're excited about these posters! You wasted NO time with hanging them up! They're perfect for your cabinets! (I wish I had some cabinets!) I'm only planning on using them for my read alouds too-I love when they raise their hand to tell me another trait for a character! It really keeps them engaged!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read that book and can't wait to try it out for character traits. Love the posters too!

    Marlene
    I Heart Teaching Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was just what I needed for this week. I love new book ideas!

    As for your artist....WOW. He's amazing. I think it's wonderful you encourage him.

    Thanks for sharing.
    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was just what I needed for this week. I love new book ideas!

    As for your artist....WOW. He's amazing. I think it's wonderful you encourage him.

    Thanks for sharing.
    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top