Guided Reading Goodies:)

I am linking up with my fellow Florida teaching bud Jen for her Guided Reading Toolbox Linky.
I just LOVE this linky!  I am getting all kinds of ideas for goodies I can add to my stash!!! 
 
Before I start with my sharing, I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for all the words of encouragement I got on my last post!  I was really feeling down (even more down about blogging about it) and your words of encouragement and support really helped me!!!  I appreciate each and every one of you who took the time to reach out with a comment or an email:)  We are all in this together and I had forgotten that and was feeling quite alone!  Thanks for the cyber hugs!!!!
 
Ok, on to my goodies!!!
Yes, I do guided reading in 4th grade and YES, I try to add little things here and there to make it fun and functional:)  Get ready for a ton of pics:) 
 
Here are a few of the items that are in my Guided Reading "Toolbox".
This little basket is always right next to me at my guided reading table.  It's full of lots of the things I use for guided reading groups (and some goodies for me....Bath and Body Pumpkin Lotion, Bath and Body Antibacterial Gel.....gotta have that stuff...lol)
I haven't broken these out yet this year but they were a huge hit last year!  I picked up these little finger lights at Dollar Tree.  The kids love them and LOVE to read with them:)  Anything like this makes reading so much fun:)
Lots and lots of post its:)  For me.....for my kids....for both!!!  We use them for everything!  You can NEVER have enough post its:)
I forgot where I got these.  They look like bookmarks but are clear, colored overlays that the kids can use as they are reading.  They love these too!!  I keep them in my basket.
We use the BIG Dollar Tree puddles (that's what I call them at least) for reading too!  This idea I got from one of my teammies and I have seen it in a couple of the other link ups at Jen's. 
 
I always have my dry erase board handy.  For pics or words or chunking....whatever:)  The kiddos each have their own too.  They usually don't bring them to guided reading BUT do bring them to guided math every day!!
I can never have enough timers.  These are from the Dollar Tree too (kitchen section).  Helps keep us on track each day.  My kids have gotten pretty good with transitioning between rotations.  As soon as they hear the timer go off they are up and moving;)
I found these fun, fruity drink stirrers a LONG time ago on clearance somewhere and they have been wonderful to use to track words while they are reading.

I made these pointer/trackers out of pencils and Dr. Seuss erasers.
I also have lots of highlighting tape.  Great for vocab or finding context clues:)
I wouldn't be able to function without my Multiple Choice Fans.  My husband and I made these 2 years ago and they have held up just great!  They are awesome to use with the passages we are doing that have multiple choice answers.  The kids can pick an answer and hide it until I say "show me"....then they all show me and I get a great, quick assessment of who gets it and who doesn't:)
You can read more about these HERE and HERE and HERE.
 
I hope you got some new, fun ideas from taking a peek into my guided reading toolbox!  Now I am off  to Jen's to get some more ideas:)  Have a great week everyone!
 
 

11 comments

  1. I love it!! I love the drink stirrers! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas for guided reading groups. I love the finger lights. I will have to pick some up the next time I'm at Dollar Tree (which will likely be soon!) I will have to try the multiple choice fans. Anything to add a little fun to multiple choice questions sounds like a winner to me!

    Have a great week!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend! Somehow I must have missed your earlier post about being down :\ I'm so sorry you were overwhelmed. Just know this: you are not alone. I love all of these goodies! I can use them in Guided Math, too. I'll have to add some of this wonderfulness to my basket! I especially love the multiple choice fans. So smart :)
    Have a great rest of the week!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your goodies!!! I need to stock my basket with some of these cute things!
    Jamie
    Drop By: Life As I Know It

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these! I absolutely have to have the finger lights!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tara,

    I want to start by saying that your blog looks great! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you earn royalties of 70%. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com
    I also created the Resources4teaching forums where educators can discuss education. Feel free to join us and start sharing your best practices and strategies.
    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  7. I *LOVE* all of your goodies! Such fun things you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are looking for a guided reading program for kids, check out www.snaplearning.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting stash you have with you there! Good to see other parents who like to make reading fun for their kids as well. I like borrowing ideas on how to make learning for my Jamie more interesting and find myself always on the lookout for fresh ideas such as yours. Recently I found a site I like to think is my teaching bible and inside there are ideas that make one wish to spend more time there. I have now made it my manual of instruction. And Jamie seems to be enjoying learning too!

    Regards
    Daniele Wren
    easylearnreading.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top