Classroom Management - New Year/New System

Classroom management........I'm a firm believer in using those first precious days of the school year to set the tone and "lay down the law".  I also believe that if you don't have good classroom management in place, not a lot of good teaching will be going on:/ 
 
I run a pretty tight ship.  I let the kids know from day 1 what my expectations are and they catch on really quickly.  In the past I have always used play money and a classroom store for part of my classroom management but that was getting really costly on top of a few other things that I didn't like about it.
 
This year I bit the bullet and decided to try the famous CLIP CHART.  There are only a million out there to choose from...lol.  I finally decided on this super cute one from A Cupcake for the Teacher:)
Everyone gets a clip with their number.  I have to confess, I wasn't sure how effective this would be with 4th graders......well, it works:)  If they have to clip down they hang their heads as they drag their feet over to do it....I also love that they have the opportunity to get back on track and clip back up:)
 
I also have some that can't sit straighter in their chairs trying to get my attention to clip up:)
Each level is a point, starting with Ready to Learn, Great Job is 2 and on up.  At the end of each day, I have a clip chart monitor that records each person's points for that day. (by their number only)


Every 2 weeks I total the points.  The kids have the option of "spending" their points or banking them.  What do they "spend" them on you ask????
Take A Ticket - You've Earned It!
They get to pick from my Take a Ticket set.
I made one set in color and laminated it and put it on a ring.  Then I made black and white copies.  The tickets all have different points on the back.  Those are the ones they get to choose from.
Once they choose what they want,  I give them the black and white version to keep and use:)
Some kids "cash in" their points, some bank.  The BIGGEST ticket item is a behavior bead tag.


These have been a HUGE hit in my classroom this year.  I got them from Run Miss Nelson's Got the Camera!  The kids just love them and usually bank their points so they can save up to get a different tag to add.
 So that's my classroom management for this year. (Most of it...I have something different for homework)  Love the clip chart system.....simple, easy, and effective:)  Happy Tuesday all!


8 comments

  1. I also started using the clip chart this year too! I love how you've attached points to the levels!! What a great idea! I'll definitely have to borrow that one! Do you take away points if they clip down below Ready to Learn?
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use the clip chart system too and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put away my clip chart this year because I felt like it didn't have enough impact, but I LOVE the idea of attaching points to the levels. GENIUS!!! I may have to pull my clip chart back out later this year when my kiddos are in need of a change :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your system is great :) I love the chart your keep of the points. Such a great idea. I really want to do something better than what I'm doing now- always room for improvement :) Happy Tuesday!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using the clip chart!! I've never thought of using their numbers instead of writing their names on the clips. So genius! It would keep from having to make them each year AND kids wouldn't know who is on what color (at least as easily). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! And I totally agree, spending that time at the beginning of the year getting all the behavior and routines in order pays off big for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of adding points to the chart so kids can cash them in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article. Thanks for sharing. By the way, my husband needed to fill out form name recently and found an online platform that hosts a searchable database . If others want DA 31 also , here's a http://pdf.ac/9K2Ce0

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top