Spiffing Up Our Writing

spiffy - adjective: spruce; smart; fine.
 
We have been working hard to spiff up our writing.  Narratives have been the focus since school started.....we started expository writing today.
 
The kids are getting better and better at descriptive writing that helps the reader have a "mind movie".  I wanted to share or revisit some of the tools and activities we have been doing to spiff up our writing.
 
video
 
Here is a little video (if it works...lol) of our Show Don't Tell wall.  The kids really enjoyed drawing these emotions/feelings and then writing a little blurb about it. 
I shared about this on my last Monday Made It but didn't have it up yet.  If you want to read more about how we did it you can read that HERE.
 
We have also been polishing up our creativity skills.....metaphors, onomatopoeia, similes, and idioms.  Last week we made little simile foldables.




We folded a flap down from the top and one up from the bottom (both to meet in the middle).  On the top outside of the flap they wrote their simile.  On the bottom outside flap they wrote what it meant (some wrote sentences).  On the inside they drew a fun pic of their simile:)
 


The kiddos are really loving using our Sharpen Your Writing interactive bulletin board.  I was concerned they would be up and down and up and down....like maybe putting off their writing and "acting" busy but that hasn't been the case at all.  They really are using it properly:)
If you want to check this out, it's at my TPT store
Sharpen Your Writing

Hope you all have a great rest of your week:)  I'm counting the days until Thanksgiving break.  Can't wait to have my fam all under the same roof again for a bit!!!!
 
 
 


10 comments

  1. Love the Show, Don't Tell faces! The frustrated one is super cute! Such a great for students to see Show, Don't Tell. They have such a hard time with that skill! Love it and the video :)

    Thanks for the great idea,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the show don't tell activity. At first when I explained to my students what it was about and what they had to do they all had that "Omg, what can I possibly draw?". It made me start to worry. But once they got going it was amazing. Now I have a great display of show don't tell just like you. Thank you so much for the fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I was wondering if you could help me out! I am a first year teacher, who taught kindergarten for a half-year last year and is now teaching fourth grade this year. I found out I was moving at the end of July so I didn't have much prep time. I love what I do, but sometimes I get overwhelmed with trying to learn the curriculum, make the materials, and make sure I am staying on top of all the programs and testing. I was wondering if you have any advice for me or tricks you couldn't live without. Also, I noticed you have some literature circle materials in your TPT store. I am attempting to do during literature circle groups with me during the Daily 5; however, I cannot figure out the best way to manage it. Do I have the kids read and do their jobs independently and then come back and meet for a discussion or do we read and do our jobs together? Also, how often should I meet with groups? Once or twice a week? I have 7 groups, two of which are my gifted students. If you have advice, I would certainly appreciate the help. I love your blog so much. Thanks for being an inspiration to new teachers like me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try the Show Don't Tell project with my class. I can see some of my kiddos coming up with some good writing samples. They love to talk and to tell every detail of what has happened!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great way to learn about similes and I know my kiddos would love it!

    Show, don't tell is always a difficult concept for kids to "get". I really like your emotions board -- I can definitely see this happening in my classroom.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Essay composing will always be experienced by learners, especially since it is a way of examining their knowing of a certain subject, green essay or publish conversation. Of course, there's the regular purpose kind of examination where there are shut finished options that only center around yes or no's and several options to name some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. UPS Service and Warranty - Power Backup Solutions offers comprehensive UPS and battery service plan solutions which are designed to improve costs, uptime, reliability, power quality and safety.ups service

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is the most powerful Orlando computer network support Tired of waiting? Our new customers consistently report how LONG it requires for their past IT Teams to contact them back, and how long they wait for resolution of issues. Our core business model has always been speed and accuracy in communication and resolution of our customer's needs. We treat each network, server, and desktop PC like our own, and we keep them running, all the time, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving this entry, I guess that this is my first time to visit this website. Just remember that edit-ing.services can supply you with an essay written from scratch. No plagiarism included! No hidden costs!Our products are natural!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top