Friday, February 14, 2014

Five for Friday! Making Inferences and CRASH!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hey gang!  Linking up with Doodle Bug's for my Friday Five!
http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/02/five-for-friday-linky-party-february.html
It's been quite a week for me ya'll! 
I kicked off my second year of being a GOTR coach on Monday:)  One of my sweet girls made me this.  Just love it:)  We had a wonderful start to the season!  I have great group of girls this year and am really looking forward to some fun times:0)
My OBSERVATION was Tuesday!  I did a lesson on making inferences.  Thanks to some amazing teachers, my small group centers rocked!!!  These are QR task cards for making inferences.  My kids just LOVED them:)
These Making Inference task cards are from Fun in 5th Grade.  Click HERE to check them out in her shop.  I had my kids write their inferences down first and then self check with the QR codes:)  So fun!!

So LOVED this activity from Catherine Reed at The Brown Bag Teacher!
She has a working backwards activity that was great for differentiation.  It was awesome for my higher groups.....made them think!  They loved it and begged to do more!  You can check these out at her super cute shop HERE.
We will definitely be doing more of this soon:)
My whole group and small group lessons were all focused around these amazing cards from Teaching with A Mountain View.  So love that they were differentiated for all kinds of learners.  We started the lesson making inferences with the picture cards and then worked up to the text cards.  I also used them with my small groups:)  You can check out her amazing shop HERE.  She has TONS of wonderful task cards (I have lots of them).

Now......on to the CRASH part in my post title.  Meet my new best friend....Crutch.  Well, we aren't really best friends yet.....we have been spending some time together and will have to spend a lot more together so I'm hoping our relationship is a kind one!!!
Along with the making inferences theme......can you infer what the crutches mean?!?!?  Lol!
If you inferred from my post title and the pic that I injured a leg, you're right;)   Here's why I have a new best friend......
Tuesday night....the night of my observation....I was feeling so happy and energetic.  My daughter had written a workout for me with weights and running.  I finished my workout and decided to run up the street.  Well, got about a block and a half from the house and tripped over a bump of asphalt on the road.  Crashed really hard!
This is me at the ER.  The doctor actually told my husband and I that my kneecap was broken!  He sent me for x-rays and as we waited I prayed and I know I had quite a few others praying too because I put the ER visit on Instagram.  Well, the doc came back in and said it was NOT broken!  Praise God!!!!!  He is so good!!!!
So I have been on my butt since Tuesday....leg up....ice off and on.....my hands got banged up too.  The bottom left pic is the palm of my bruised hand....told ya I crashed!
 
Just sick that I have been out of school but so grateful for so much support from my teammate and friends:)  They have really rallied around me and taken care of things for me.  I am so blessed and grateful!!!
This is Thursday's pic.  Swelling is getting better every day:)  My sweet husband bought me some books and an orchid to pick me up:)  Praying for continued healing so I don't have to go to an orthopedic surgeon!!! 
 
In my complete boredom with having to sit all day every day I made a new story starter freebie for ya'll:)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bpKKqDdboMRTBGOFN0bVZxSWM/edit?usp=sharing
Click the pic or HERE to get your freebie!! (if I did it right:/)
 
Have a great weekend everyone!  Thanks for popping by:)
 
 


12 comments:

  1. Ugh I can't get the link to work :/ it could be be because I'm in China though.... Rest we'll and hope your knee heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have an email? I can email it to you:) I just tried it and I think it works ok....I would be happy to email it to you:)

      Delete
  2. I had Acl and meniscus surgery last fall and went crazy having to stay off my feet and hated crutches. It sounds like you're in good hands. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! That knee looks painful. Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself, but I must say, join the club. I shattered my kneecap 9 years ago, the day before school started, and was out for the 1st 2 months of school. Lovely zipper scar on my knee now, and it's never been the same since. Just thank the Lord again that you didn't break it. Heal quickly!!
    : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your poor knee! Glad you're healing up. I'm a bit of a klutz, and new-ish to running, so I'm surprised that hasn't happened to me yet. Love that QR code activity! i'm a Girls on the Run Coach, too. Love that program. If it ever stops snowing around here, maybe we can get started. :)

    Amy

    Always Adapting

    ReplyDelete
  5. QR codes are the bomb.com! So sorry about your knee. Praying for a speedy recovery!

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks really painful! Hopefully you'll recover quickly.

    Kelly
    A View Into My Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your leg heals fast! My niece is participating in Girls on the Run, and she loves it. Our PE teacher has a different program at our school, but I'd love to get this started at our school as well. Thank you for sharing all the great inference activities!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your poor knee! Get better soon! Your inference activities looked awesome! Your kids must have loved them!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bloggy Buddy, I cringe every time I see that knee picture! I am sending you lots of love and prayers for a quick recovery.
    On another note: Your QR code comments have inspired me! I have a borrowed iPad that I am going to put to use before they figure out they left it with me. Thanks for the Inference resources too! WooHoo!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your knee!! Bless your heart!!! I hope you are feeling better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "...ready to pop out of her head." Love it!! How did I miss this?? Thank you so much for the shout-out, Tara! :)

    ReplyDelete