Week 2 in the Books:) We're Rockin It into Week 3!!

Yes, yes....I'm late at getting this posted because we are already into week 3...I adore my class:)  They have really impressed me!  Here's a looksy at some of the things we have been up to:)
Morning Math Meeting
The kids have really gotten this down and we have expanded this week into new areas!  They are so quiet while they are working.  I have to say, this is probably one of my fave times of day:)  It only takes minutes but those minutes are so meaningful!
 
Math Workshop
Math workshop is in full swing:)  I have 4 rotations this year (last year I had 3) so I feel like I'm crunched for time ALL the time but we are getting there.  Our transitions aren't the smoothest but they are getting better.  Our rotations are:
Teacher Time - small group lesson
Hands On - usually a math game
Math Facts - I-Ready computer program
At Your Seat - follow up work from the lesson the day before:)
 
Daily 5
My  kids have done an amazing job with building stamina so we have been able to start full rotations:)  (again, transitions are a work in progress, but for only having 2 weeks done, I'm impressed)
The kids LOVE to read with our hermit crabs:)
 
Sadly, I came in this morning to find that Lolly had died:(  She crawled out of her shell last week so don't know if she was sick or what was wrong.  The kids were bummed this morning BUT.....I have a surprise for them...
Liberty will have another friend:)  I can't wait to show the kids and let them name this new little guy/girl:)
We have had 3 Book Frenzies since school started.  The kids fill their luggage every Monday morning:)
Flashlight Friday
We also successfully had a Flashlight Friday last week!!!
This FABULOUS idea I got from my friend Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching!  I remember when I first read her post about it last year.....I went nuts!!!  I couldn't get to the dollar store quick enough to get my little flashlights!  The kids absolutely LOVE it!!!!

The only problem with it last Friday was that we didn't have a lot of time to do it.  I swear they would read for hours with the flashlights if we had the time:)
 
Tiny Terrariums
We also were able to do another engineering challenge from the wonderful
I just LOVE giving them these challenges and then listening to them talk, plan, plot, and work together.  Here are some pics of the terrariums them built:)


 
 
 
 

They built these Thursday....well boy did we get a surprise when we walked in today:) 
You'll have to pop back by to see my next post for an update:)
 
Hope your school year is off to an awesome start!!!

10 comments

  1. Flashlight reading=genius!!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    I also started flashlight Fridays last year and the kids LOVED it! I didn't purchase a set to have in class. The idea of having to get batteries for 24 flashlights was...YIKES to me! However, I sent a newsletter home with the parents and they all brought them in. It was so fun! We even did it with our Kindergarten reading buddies.

    A LoveLi Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I had a hermit crab as a class pet it crawled out of its shell. First, I thought it was molting, but then...well, let's just say I was happy I had an assistant to help.

    Flashlight Fridays...LUV it!

    : ) Renee
    The Third Grade Learning Spot

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! Flashlight reading sounds wonderful. I think I might need to give it a try. Thanks

    Lauren
    http://dancingwithmrsg.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You've been busy with some really great learning experiences! I love the flashlight Friday idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of Flashlight Friday's! I am glad you have such a good class! I am a little jealous though .... my class is wearing me down and is definitely the most challenging I've had!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top