STEM with Pumpkins

Happy weekend!  I wanted to share a fun STEM activity we did this past Friday that would be perfect for this week too because we use pumpkins!
But not pumpkin pumpkins......these are called Ju Ju Pumpkins and my teammate found them at Walmart (Thank you Ash! I know, I know...I'm welcome!)  They come in little tubs....I'm a spaz and didn't think about taking pics until it was too late:/  We went through 6 tubs of the pumpkins and boxes of ROUND toothpicks.  I saw this idea on Pinterest. It's from Lemon Lime Adventures:)  You can read more about it HERE.
For this challenge I let the kids work in partners:) I even let them choose their partners....I know, I know....living on the edge..lol.  I wanted to give them a little more freedom with this challenge as opposed to our last challenge....all that I "required" was that it had to be a 3-d, free standing structure.
 
They started the challenge with 5 minutes of brainstorming, planning and sketching:)
It is SOOOOO neat to walk around and watch and listen to their minds at work:)
Then they were set free to build:)



I am absolutely blown away with what they came up with!!!
Each design so unique and different!





They had a blast doing this!  With each STEM challenge we do, we are getting better and better at designing and then more importantly, when we are done, looking at what worked, what didn't and what we would do differently. 
Hope this is something you can use this week!
May we all survive "Halloween" week!!  Eek!
I also wanted to let you know I am having a sale on all my Fall related items!
20% off until midnight:)
Have a blessed week!
 

7 comments

  1. Oh I love this!!!!! And I love how all of your students created different structures!! Thanks so much for sharing, you awesome teacher :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! This would be a perfect "educational" activity for Halloween. So much fun! About how many pumpkins did each group get? I'm trying to count the pictures... 32? 36? A box of toothpicks each? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Tara! I think my kinders would love to build with the Ju Ju Pumpkins! I will have to head over to Walmart to grab some! Thanks for the idea!

    Ashley
    One Sharp Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one Tara! Thank you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I'm going to Walmart after work tomorrow to see if they have the pumpkins.

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun! Great use for those little gummy pumpkins. I have seen this with gumdrops, but the seasonal touch is a nice one! Love all of the pictures you shared!

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen the ju ju pumpkins! So cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top