Sneak a Peek at my Week

So far 2015 in my classroom has been great!  My kids came back on Monday and were quiet and for the most part on task....not sure if it was a Christmas break hangover or they were ready to work.  Well, I have to say, the whole week has been that way:)  I thought I would give ya a little peek at what we have been up to this week:)
 
This week/year started with some changes for my kiddos and me....
I had forgotten until break was almost over that I completely rearranged my classroom the last day before break.  Surprise!!
Not sure why I didn't buy these and use them sooner, but I didn't...they are from The Brown Bag Teacher.  That was one change my kiddos had.  They have adjusted great!  I love them.  I have always, well except during the lovely state test, had my desks in groups, so these are great.  It's a quick and simple way to "team them up" for partner or group work:)
We have been hitting fractions hard and the kids are loving it.  Today we did mixed numbers and improper fractions and I showed them a little strategy to flip a mixed number to improper fraction and you should have seen the light bulbs go off!!!  Love it when that happens:) 
Sadly, over Christmas break one of our hermie reading buddies died, so I had to get a new one.
The shell of the new one has an angry bird painted on it.  Of course they super loved that.  I pick different kids each day to read with the crabs during our Daily 5 rotations and believe me, they don't let me forget:)
 
Change to our math routine...right after our Morning Math Meeting,
 they go back to their desks and I have some type of a problem on the board they have to prove with evidence.  I have them work in partners and groups of 3.  I LOVE the conversations I hear going on as they talk things through:)
 
 I teach math mostly in a workshop format, so this got added to the beginning.  It was something we saw at a training and I liked it...keep in mind it is still new to them...
These were some results of today's "prove it".  I really love how they used a number of strategies to solve the same problem.


After a few minutes, I call time and usually pick one team to go up front and present...today I chose several because I was so impressed by the different ways to used to prove it.
It makes me happy that they came up with several ways.  I tell them they can't build a house with one tool, so they need several tools to solve problems:)
We also made new goals.  (the board is full now...this was taken mid process)  The goals they made Monday are for the next 9 days because that's when the quarter ends.  This fab idea I got from my friend 3rd Grade Thoughts!  Check out her posts about class goals.
We also started a new Think Math question.  The kids beg me for this too!
Since we start every Monday with a Book Frenzy (The Book Whisperer) we had a book raffle on Monday too!  I have an awesome group of readers this year.  Makes this teacher's heart happy!
 
That wasn't all we did this week...just some of the highlights!  I hope maybe you got an idea or 2 you can use:)  Have a great weekend and don't forget what Monday is....

6 comments

  1. Looks like you have had a productive week so far! We also do a sort of "prove it" type thing each day. I love that it gets the kids thinking outside of the normal box, you know?

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddos were pretty quiet this week too - I think it's because they were so tired from straying from their "school-approved bed times" over break :)

    I love the goal setting board - what a great idea to focus on what's important. And I'm sure each student likes to read their classmates' goals on the board - fun idea!

    Happy almost Friday! :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful week back! I love the goal setting you are having your kids do. I bet it helps keep them on track! Hope your Friday is just as successful as the rest of your week was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many wonderful ideas and it looks like your class is off to a great 2015. I sometimes wish I were in a younger classroom so that I was able to do the Daily 5 and math workshops, however I would miss my lessons with my middles. Hope you have a great end to a good first week back tomorrow.

    -Bagby
    Get Your Science On In Room 701

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tara!
    Great to see your first week back went well. I've been reading a lot of your posts and have found them so helpful as I have begun student teaching in a 4th grade classroom. 4th grade is such a fun age and it's been great to see your ideas and a peek into your classroom. Thanks! :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoy reading what other 4th grade classes are doing. Thanks so much for sharing. Reminds me of things I've been meaning to do....like best wrong answer...and prove it. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top